close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

!!! Upgrade ????

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Ruminator, May 1, 2004.

1. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

I'm not so sure about that.

I reformatted my hard-drive, and did a "clean install" of Windows XP. I now have five separate user accounts(family+ guest). Does all of these slow up my performance?
    I tried to create a new folder, no biggy right? "Access is Denied"!! How can this be??!! After all, I gave all family membersthe "administrator" status just to avoid such problems for everyone. My computer is in a horribly disconfigured state of affairs. Shared folders/ personal folders....

This is supposed to be faster, and more stable than my ME; :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;) I sure hope that its worth it.

2. Well I don't know about the additional users and performance but I certainly feel your pain. I finally upgraded from 98 to XP this past week. Bought it last Sunday, began installing on Sunday, ran into a bunch of errors, virus messages, and other crap like that on Sunday, which carried through to Thursday. :mad: Finally got it done and as far as the performance goes, I know it was a long overdue step up. I only have one "user" registered at this point though.

3. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

The different users you speak of, are the same thing as "profiles" in previous versions of windows...nothing really new there, and it won't effect performance...UNLESS, you have more than 1 user logged in at a time. XP allows each profile (account) to act independantly of the others simultaneously. So if you're wife is logged in (and you have fast user switching enabled) you can log yourself in too, without killing her session. All of her programs will be running on the pc at the same time yours are, thus taking a performance hit.

I'd be careful with giving everyone admin rights. There's many reasons you have an option, and it's not default. For example, admin rights give you access to the boot sector of the drive and the master boot record. Some viruses infect that, so if you are using the machine on a non admin account, you might not infect.

4. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

I will allow just one "log-In" at a time.
    I can decrease the risk factor of a virus infection into the boot sector/master boot record by having just myself as an administrator, is that by others simply not being able to access them and work in them?

5. Chuck P.

Chuck P. Here We Go Steelers

It is never adviseable to "upgrade" operating systems. If at all possible, do a fresh, clean install of the full version. You'll save yourselves a lot of grief. ;)

6. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

....have given me that the upgrade didn't?

7. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

Chuck is right. Always do a clean install if at all possible. MS upgrades notoriously miss/skip/corrupt files, and leave a mess behind. A fresh (clean) install involves formatting the drive, and starting from scratch.

As for the boot sector...that's just one example, but yes...if a virus is written to exploit the boot sector/mbr, and normal user (non administrator) account can't access it, so it won't infect...however, if the virus resides in a file, the file might rear up once an admin logs in. In the end, it's not necessarily going to save the day, but there's tons of reasons you don't need everyone to have admin rights. 99% of which are security reasons. Users dont have the level of file and registry access that admins do, so you decrease the chance of an errant mouse click jacking your system up significantly. Great for teenagers, kids and baby boomers who's clock still flashes 12:00 on the VCR...which are the leading cause of desktop malfunction :D

8. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Don't forget, when your kids get off of their accounts, make sure they actually log-out and shut down all the apps they we're running.

9. You guys seem to know a whole heck of a lot more about computers than myself. I can answer some financial planning questions like you guys answer these computing questions but now I have a question for Shakedown and Chuck P. :confused: After all the frustating things you guys named I ended up reformatting my hard drive with the 98 disc and upgraded to XP with my Norton Antivirus up to date and all online upgrades to XP. It appears to be working fine now. As a matter of fact, more reliable than the corporate version I use at work! :) Should I do a complete install of XP just to be sure or press on as is?

10. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

I did a complete, clean install with my "upgrade" version of XP.