Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy Rick & I are planning a 3 day Allegheny River Canoe Trip from Warren, PA to Oil city, PA May 11th-13th.

Looking for another canoe/kyak or two to join us.

Pm me

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Wish I could join you! But due to issues on the home front it's not possible, maybe one of these years. My son's,a few friends and I have done it for the last 6 years or so. Once from the dam the rest of the time from Warren to the east hickory bridge. It's always a great time. Plenty of islands to choose from for making camp. Expect to go a little distance for firewood at some of the more obvious camp sites and a small battery powered chainsaw is a great thing to have along to cut up the deadfalls.

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bula: Thanks for the tips. Have done the trip twice decades ago. It'll bring back many memories. Looking forward to it

Reactions: JamesF

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Bula: Thanks for the tips. Have done the trip twice decades ago. It'll bring back many memories. Looking forward to it
Wow, you must be healing up from your surgery quickly. My dad grew up in Oil city & we would go there every summer to visit relatives. I remember that was one fast river.

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Doing better, but still not ready to return to work

·
Registered
965 Posts
Make sure you call before your trip, I believe someone on here told me that the river has to below 6ft this year. My friend and I are planning a canoe trip as well but not till August. Hope you have a great time with lots of pictures for us to see or send them to me lol....Rich

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
That river is on my list of places to try. I would consider it but that's when my son is leaving for the service. Hope you have a great time. I also need a camping fix.

·
Banned
2,666 Posts
My canoe trips were always interesting. Something new around the next bend. I had 14' Sportspal. I had it from 1984 until around 2016. Sold it to a member on here. I never once came close to tipping it. I hope you guys have a good time.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Make sure you call before your trip, I believe someone on here told me that the river has to below 6ft this year. My friend and I are planning a canoe trip as well but not till August. Hope you have a great time with lots of pictures for us to see or send them to me lol....Rich
We were told last year when we rented our kayaks and canoe that the outfitter starting last year was not allowed to rent out his canoes and kayaks if the water level was above 6 ft I believe, but according to him if you use your own equipment the rule does not apply.

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bula: We've got our own canoes

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Wondering if you followed through with your trip, with all the rain IAM guessing the river is going to be at least 7 1/2 ft!

·
Registered
438 Posts
We used to do week wilderness canoe trips in Algonquin in Ontario & Kinzu dam on the pa & ny border. I think thats where the allegheny starts. Many great trips . I miss them days. Hope it all works out & have a great time!
Actually the source of the Allegheny River is in NC Potter County, a considerable distance east of the Kinzua Dam.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts