close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Unusual Feeding

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by UDBasser, Dec 30, 2004.

1. While fishing a small tournament on Mosquito earlier in the summer, my father noticed that there were bass following carp around as they kicked up mud and whatnot while feeding I would assume. He stayed in the area of the feeding carp to go on to win the tournament...in a location I told him about of course! hah Has anyone ever witnessed feeding habits such as this? Usually if carp are flopping around I dont stay too long. Just curious if there are any other stories out there.

2. The bass lets the carp dislodge food items such as insects and crayfish. When the food item is dislodged the bass darts in and tries to beat the carp to it. :D you can see this real well in clear, shallow rivers where the smallmouth stay quite close to the carp waiting for bottom dwelling baitfish and crayfish. :)

3. At Dale Walborn I often catch Bass around feeding carp. I have learned to always cast to any carp I see.

4. If it was during the carp spawn (May/June) those bass may have been pigging out on eggs or the scavengers that prey on the eggs.

5. I had figured they were just waiting for the carp to disturb crayfish and whatever else looks tasty. I've just never witnessed it. Didnt know bass would eat the eggs though. I'll have to keep that in mind next year when i see active carp.

thanks guys

6. I didn't know saugeye would eat berkely trout bait until about a month ago. :D

7. hahahaa.... me too

8. what part of the lake were you witnessing this?

9. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

i think it's better to key in on the tailing carp as opposed to the carp that are jumping/flopping. I fished a clear lake in PA and wittnessed the same thing...except they were followed by 4lb+smallies, but unfortunatly bass was outta season.

10. mid-section of the lake. less than 2ft deep.

11. WLB

WLB Northern Ohio Fisherman

I fish a couple shallow areas off L. Erie in the spring (may-june) the smallies are mixed right in with
    (like johnboy111711 said) the tailing carp, they spawn nearby, then feed right out in the mud with the carp in water so shallow I can hardly move my boat.
    I use a blk/blu jiglett most of the time to catch them,
    but a spinnerbait works pretty good to.