unstocked tribs?

Discussion in 'Steelhead Talk' started by TheFishWhisperer, Dec 10, 2007.

1. what is the attraction? i assume there are bigger fish and less crowds? maybe PM me with a couple names? im new to steelies, just trying to learn.

2. I wouldn't say unstocked tribs attract bigger fish. But they aren't talked about much and usually you'll have some of them to yourself. However there are a few that are quite heavily fished.

3. GaryV311

GaryV311 Trout Hunter

Rookie question, what is a "trib"?

4. When I hear the word trib I usually think of a smaller creek, sometimes one that goes straight into Erie or into a main river like the Grand.

5. GaryV311

GaryV311 Trout Hunter

Ahhh. I see. Sorry for kinda hijacking your thread FishWhisperer.

6. thats what i figured, but i dont know east that well. are the fish in them considered stray? less numbers? wild?

7. no worries.

8. Grab a map, look for rivers/creeks that flow into Erie. If it isn't named Vermilion, Rocky, Chagrin, Grand, or Conneaut it is an unstocked trib. These fish run up every river, creek, or ditch - best from east, lesser to the west.

The reason that these are unstocked normally falls into one of two categories, lack of habitat (especially near the mouth of the river, like the Cuyahoga) or lack of public access, like most of the rest.

The reason that most folks don't want to see postings about unstocked tribs is that the public areas are typically small and easily crowded when listed on an open forum (like this one). We have lost many private but previously unposted areas due to littering and general overcrowding. The internet is partly to blame by serving information to many lurkers and participants. With more folks comes more folks who litter, poach, etc. A small percentage of a larger sampling is a few more folks, who are often the difference between having some access to being forced out by having it posted.

Even giving out specific spots that are not public on a stocked stream can cause issues. For example, the stretch from around the first riffle on the grand and upstream was accessible - private but unposted. One by one, each section became posted. Now, that entire stretch is posted. Another large portion of good water lost.

The best way to find these areas is to take a drive and follow the maps. Start at parks (many are local municipal parks) and places where roads cross the river. See where other folks are fishing, take notes. This is how we figured things out before the internet. Smaller creeks with a smaller watershed will clear faster than the larger rivers, so these provide opportunities on days like today where most levels are high.

9. Not many wild fish in Ohio since almost all streams get too warm during the summer. A wild fish will normally spend a total of two summers in the river before the smolt stage and heading to the lake. The first summer after the initial hatch (real small) and the second as 8-10" (or so). Some of the smaller tribs with a primarily spring-fed instead of runoff source will provide some fish. Overall, these are a fraction of a percent of the trout stocked yearly - not enough to keep the program going on its own.

The draw of the eastern tribs (stocked by Ohio or unstocked) is that they receive some fall-running P.A. strays.