close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Unofficial poll: River Shad vs Lake Shad

Discussion in 'Catfish Discussion' started by Salmonid, Aug 22, 2007.

1. I fished with some lake shad ( from Kiser Lake) last night and noticed a few things and wondered if others have noticed or have noticed other differences or am I just making a big deal over nothing?

a few things that I noticed were:

1. that the fish ( freshly frozen) turned to mush rather quickly on the hook and seemed to pull off easier (ie. turtles)

2.they did not seem to leave as strong a smell on my hands

3.the bellies were full of algae and made a huge mess on my cutting board, like green sand, making the gut pocket a useless piece of green gooo

4. the lake shad, even though they were larger ones like 9-10", when I sliced em into chunks, the belly and below sections were paper thin making it useless whereas the river shad I get have more meat on the belly

Anyone else have any thoughts on this? I'll definately try to get river shad when possible from here on out but in this low water for the last 6 weeks ( pre-this week) they were hard to find.

Salmonid

2. pendog66

pendog66 It swims its bait

i have noticed that too mark thats why i use only river shad. And my shad hole is now producing so call me if you need any

3. Steelwolve

Steelwolve COCC- Director

Now that you mention it yea I have noticed the green crap alot more from shad from Alum Creek than the Scioto, but I usually go to get my shad from alum before I fish the river because they are alot easier to get. And I have done great on it this year.

4. Interesting observations there - I never paid that much attention.

I usually catch most of my shad in lakes as well and they fish just fine in rivers, lakes, and ponds. They are just so much easier for me to find/catch in the lakes than down on the river & I like the comfort of knowing I have plenty of bait.

5. 01mercLS

01mercLS It's Fishing not catching

I never really thought of that. I usually use river shad.

6. tcba1987

tcba1987 Tuscarawas River Angler

ive had problems with all of my shad from tappan lake turning mushy as soon as i cut it and put it on the hook and the stomach area always just falls apart !! ive never used river shad, im not even sure if i could cast net any shad from the Tusc River !!! i thought maybe it was the way i was handling my shad or something .........im kinda glad it isnt just me having trouble with the sahd being mushy from the lakes this year !!! could it be from the HIGH temps and warm water temps this year ???