close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Unkown Salmonoid

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by steely123, Nov 12, 2004.

1. Just caught a very unusually colored trout and/or/maybe/possibly a pink salmon ???....

Is there such a thing as an Albino steelhead ?...I am just kicking myself for not having the camera....that is the last time I go without...but sometimes they know I have it and then they don't bite, so what am I supposed to do ?..

anyway, this fish was about 20'', a female(no kype), had a white underside gradually going to a light colored golden yellow brownish ??...with a bright bright red/pink stripe going from cheeks to tail on each side. No visible spot pattern that I remember seeing...dang I wish I had that camera....what a beautiful fish...never caught one quite like it ever.....

I won't say where I got it only that it was an erie trib that could or could not have been the chagrin :D

anyone want to hazard a guess for me ?...or point the way to a pictures with each type of salmonoid ?...

steely123

2. Where did you catch it? Sounds like a stocked rainbow trout, possibly a golden trout. I think they stock those in Hodgson.

3. As you were posting that I edited my msg.....heehee....good timing....great minds think alike as they say...

anyway, It was the chagrin....my first thought when seeing it was 'am I at grangers or somthing...'...my buddy just walked up when I was netting and he said the same thing....'did someone catch at grangers and release here ?'..not very likely but wow what a wierd color pattern....I did hear of a few pink salmon up northeast but would not know one myself if it bit me....

4. I caught a steelie yesterday that had these really bright orange markings on it's cheek. I had never seen that before so distinct.

5. Dingo

Dingo

Probably a golden trout. I caught one last year in a small trib, around 20" as well. Some were stocked by the state for a few years in Hinkley lake, which is at the headwaters of the east branch of the rocky river. I caught a few of these in late June in the lower rocky, so I know that some do make it over the hinkley lake falls and back towards the lake. They could be stocked in other river systems, including PA.

The pink salmon would look more like a smaller coho or king salmon -- closer to a steelhead than a golden trout. The male would have the big hump in the back, as well.

6. It definately had a 'golden' hue to it....would've loved to have
    had a photo (godi'msostupidgodi'msostupid :D )

do they have the bright pink stripies ?...

well, regardless, it ended my 3 week drought. fished for about 1/2 hour at a depth of 2 1/2 ft. with minifoo/maggot, then dropped down to about close to 4' down and bang first cast !....small compared to steelies but wow was the color worth it.....saw it swimming away about 4 to 5 ft down/away it was so bright in the water.....

steely123

7. Dingo

Dingo

"saw it swimming away about 4 to 5 ft down/away it was so bright in the water"

Yep, that was a golden. The one I caught was the same way. Looked like an easy target for preditors. Yes, it may have the bright red stripes down the sides. Just as in your case, I didn't have the camera. A pretty cool looking fish -- wouldn't mind seeing a few more around.

8. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

"golden" trout:

Attached Files:

• 143.jpg
      143.jpg
      File size:
      31.2 KB
      Views:
  9. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

Congrats on the catch....if you want to find out more just do an internet search for "albino rainbow trout". a search for "golden trout" will take you to sites on the golden trout of the west.

Attached Files: