Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to hit the creek Thursday night after the heavy rain to check it out.
Surprisingly it was near perfect conditions. Water slightly up but instead of the perfectly clear stream as of late it was slightly stained.
I hit my first hole that sometimes holds smallies. Tied on a white bitsy tube I cast into the small pool. As soon as the tube hits the water I have a small 9" smallmouth. Then another. Every cast I was getting a very aggressive strike. At times it was so fast I couldn't react fast enough. Between rock bass and dink smallmouth I decided to move on to bigger fish. I did learn at that hole the fish were short striking much of the time. So I changed tubes. I pulled out a green and yellow tube. I cut 1/4" of the bottom off. I move into my next pool where I have been having good luck in. I see several carp in the middle cruising. I cast to the opposite bank and start working the tube slowly. I was close to the middle of the creek and was about to start reeling, when my line took off up stream. I set the hook and a massive fight began. I am using 1/16 jig on 8 lb line. My new pflueger is screaming drag. Pole is doubled over. I fight for 10 minutes to be rewarded with a 35" trophy carp. ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1376112014.734088.jpg ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1376112065.605203.jpg

My first carp!
A fish Ohio and a Ofg award
I gained control of my shaking arms carry the beast back to the water.
I straighten the hook back into shape. Pull the tube back into place and cast back out looking for smallies. A couple seconds pass and the identical fight happens again. Rewarded with another fish Ohio carp
ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1376112266.652144.jpg
ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1376112281.747207.jpg

I finished the night with a nice 13" smallie.
Great night of creek fishing

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Attachments

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was great to fish with you again Jaybird. One of these days you need to be there when I catch the big ones not right after. Every time you show up I have just caught a nice fish

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
717 Posts
Great job. People can say whatever they want to about carp, but it would be hard to debate that they don't put up a good fight.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Very nice britam! I have found that immediately after a good rain, the river bite is always pretty hot.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Heck of a catch x2! Nice job!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

1 - 10 of 10 Posts