Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
catchin my own bait since 1957
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, the good news, I guess, is that my claim for unemployment has been allowed, I qualify for the extra $$$, and they're supposed to be starting direct deposited soon :D the bad news is they're taking 10% for federal taxes right off the top :eek: I've been gainfully employed, it's been a while since I collected it but don't remember them doing that before ... it is what it is, they gotta pay for the government somehow, and I can see how they'd want to make sure they get theirs, but I thought, evidently wrongly, that these funds were tax free :rolleyes: I musta had a senior wishful moment there :p

·
Banned
14,059 Posts
you have to pay federal taxes on the unemployment but not the extra 600.00. its supposed to be tax free.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
i was under the impression that all the stimulus money was exempt from taxes. but i could be wrong. my son's unemployment check gets taxed but he gets the full 600.00.
The federal stimulus is not taxed, the unemployment $600 is, so if you didn’t check the tax box when you filed unemployment, then you owe that at the end of the year.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
And even if you checked the tax box, I think they only take taxes out of the unemployment amount, not the $600.

·
catchin my own bait since 1957
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the stupid thing is that this $ was originally taxed already and paid as taxes. it is like they are taxing it twice... same thing with social security's return of YOUR money! just sucks
you are 10 thousand percent right, they are taxing twice :rolleyes: big surprise there, right I checked again, it seems like they're taxing the $600, I'll have to follow it until I actually get something ... it's just like social security that you paid into for 45+ years, once you give them your money it's theirs until you can get it back, they sit on it and squander your money on stupid programs for your entire life, then cut your benefits, no COLA and tax what's left ... if this crisis doesn't open up peoples eyes to the extent of government need for and what they do with our tax dollars, especially for marginally or not even worthwhile social programs that do nothing for the betterment of life in the long run, then nothing will ...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Your going to be more than 10% in taxes. Probably closer to 30%. Federal, State, and Local at years end. Depending on your filing status. I just know what I'm going to be paying.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
well, the good news, I guess, is that my claim for unemployment has been allowed, I qualify for the extra $$$, and they're supposed to be starting direct deposited soon :D :p
What gov't agent did you sleep with? LOL! I just got denied for the second time.They were suppose to call me monday,and didn't.Got the 2nd denial today online and spent 2 hrs on phone with no live person. 6 weeks of filing weekly,bi weekly and not a cent.

·
Banned
2,666 Posts
You can not speak to a live person at unemployment. The state employees got tired of dealing with the public, and pissed and moaned about it, until the state changed it,they got raises for having to learn the system that is defective.

·
Time to fish!
4,989 Posts
People will be so mad next year when taxes are due. Clearly spelled out that unemployment will be taxed.

Going to be dealing with furloughed employees soon that are geting unemployment but are not willing to come back for less money than unemployment per week. They don't yet know that HR has to report them to unemployment if they don't take the hours offered. Not looking forward to that conversation.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I had the option to have the 10% deducted or I could play it back quarterly. Any payment you receive from the government IS subject to tax. I'm not a lawyer, I don't play one on T.V., however, I speak with two attorneys daily - one for my age discrimination/ wrongful termination lawsuit and the other solely dedicated to getting me through PUA Pandemic Unemployment Assistance. This guy is doing this pro bono as he feels we are all in this together. The Litigation guy won't look at a case unless he knows he will make $15,000. He is a shark though and has one all thee cases I submitted to him.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Going to be dealing with furloughed employees soon that are geting unemployment but are not willing to come back for less money than unemployment per week. They don't yet know that HR has to report them to unemployment if they don't take the hours offered. Not looking forward to that conversation.
The unemployment is/was not going to last and people who were furloughed but decide not to back to work will find out that they no longer have jobs and no unemployment benefits. Our turnout for interviews is through the roof right now because we didn't/couldn't close, and many people are looking for work. Our problem before was getting people to come to interviews. Now it is trying to weed out those who are just looking for a filler job. The news is broadcasting people complaining that they have to go back to work and it's "not safe" but it was safe enough for "essential" companies to stay open. What a joke. If they are high risk then keep them furloughed. If not, then back to work and off the government teat. Somebody has to pay taxes a for the lifelong unemployed...

·
Banned
2,666 Posts
The IRS, is going to get a return on this money. Most likely in taxes, now or at the end of the year, and possibly the following year. I think some people are going to be surprised, if they refused work, to collect unemployment. These conditions are temporary, the laws pertaining to unemployment will some day revert back to the original pre virus days. Meaning; if you refused to work any job offered you could lose your status for benefits.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
1/2 hr of constant redialing to get to the elevator music. 1.5 hr wait for a live person with a cracked up phone line.And another 1 hr wait for a supervisor to take over and straighten it. Hopefully my money will arrive in under 72 hrs.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts