close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Underwater Structure

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Reel Lady, Oct 10, 2004.

1. Reel Lady

Reel Lady Dreams DO come true!

I just had a great experience :) Rob and I went to West Branch (for one of our all nighters), not only did I catch a smorgasboard of fish, I got to see first hand what lies beneath the water in the Spring/Summer. Right now, West Branch is about 6' low. Everything that you normally cannot see is now visible. You see things like root structure, undercuts in the bank, rock piles, laydowns, manmade structure, you name it! Personally, I think that seeing this will help me do better next year because now I have a great visual of what actually goes on under the water, and where the fish would most likely congregate. Here is an example of an undercut in the bank with some great root structure.
    [​IMG]
    And here is another example of submerged trees that I never knew existed in this particuliar area.
    [​IMG]
    And here is an example of some man made structure that is normally submersed.
    [​IMG]
    I would really recommend that if at all possible, get out there and check it out... make mental notes, take pictures, etc.
    Happy Fishing!
    Marcia

2. DavidWS10

DavidWS10 Bankless Boat Trash

Marcia, That first picture you posted is textbook habitat for flathead catfish. The combination of the undercut bank and the tree's root ball make that spot a primary nesting spot for the biggest and toughest male flathead in the immediate vicinity once the water level is brought back up to normal pool. I hope you marked that spot on your gps. Next summer, after the spawn is over, sit on that spot using live bluegill, live gold fish and live shad. And don't use any bait smaller than 6" at that spot. One word of caution: if you decide to fish that spot and really want to bring out the resident bruiser, use tackle suitable to the task. It wouldn't surprise me if that spot held a good 30+ pounder.

3. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

marcia, you're giving away all my spots!

4. catking

catking Banned

On lakes where they are drawn down in the late fall, it would be a good idea to mark on your maps where this structure is. In fact, being a bank fisherman, it would be wise to take a tape measure with you as you scout out future spots. You can measure how far out the place in which you want to fish, mark it on the map, then in the summer, mark your line say at 60' (if that's the measurement you took) cast out beyond the spot, then reel in right where you want the bait to be. Hey , this WILL work ;) CATKING

5. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

6. hmmmmm, I think some of those spots look familiar :D

7. Reel Lady

Reel Lady Dreams DO come true!

This is kinda fun huh? Trying to guess where these photos were taken? I do love puzzles :D Don't you?

8. jeffmo

jeffmo officially unofficial!!!!

i remember the 1st time that i saw deercreek after the draw down in the fall(many years ago!)i was amazed at how much was hidden,and how many lures we found!.i took alot of pics of some of the areas and the following spring it really helped knowing where the different structure was.of course this was all before i had the luxury of having a fishfinder on the boat.i still fish some of the spots when i get over there and there's a couple that have always produced for me.that's the good part about it.good structure will hold fish most of the time and finding that same type of structure in another lake is usually a good place to start when you're 1st learning a new lake.
    marcia,i'm no expert but i'd say that you have officially been bitten by the fishing bug!

9. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

Blance....Look familiar! she might as well have put up a giant sign saying"FISH HERE, THIS IS THE ULTIMATE SPOT" j/k :D

10. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

Lets see Marcia,
    Your first picure with the root structure, I'm not sure where that is although I have an idea.
    Picture two looks like the north shore as you're entering the campground bay.
    Picture three is in the campground bay on the south shore towards the main lake.
    Are these your honey holes????:D The water out from the rock structure has nice depth in front of it. 17-20' at low pool.

The water is approx. down 4' judging by the zebra mussels on the Rock Springs Road bridge supports. Water temp is a nice 65F down to 5' level(didn't check deep water).

Last night's catch included many rock bass, a small largemouth, a few crappie and walleye. No cats again, not even a bump.:mad: I took my remaining dozen minnows that have been aerating in a 5 gal. bucket in my garage for about 5 weeks. Ran out of bait before we ran out of fish.

It was a last minute, spur-of-the-moment chance to go(sorry Jim). The trees are gorgeous right now. Enjoy them while you can.

blance, was that you we spoke to under the Rock Springs bridge? We were in a red 14' Lund.

The Rock Springs boat ramp was open last night and the lines painted.
    The Cable Line Rd. boat ramp and parking lot past Gilbert Road was closed for resurfacing.
    The walleye were caught on plain jig and minnow on the steep drop-offs jigging off the bottom.
    The one thing I learned this year about this lake is structure is THE name of the game. If you're on or in the structure you got fish. A few feet off and most likely you will go home empty handed.
    One more thing. Don't forget your gloves.

11. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

how big and how many eyes did you get?

12. Nope not me Lewzer, I was home being a good boy watching some TV and surfin' the web. I may be out there either Saturday or Sunday though, but given my flighty nature I cannot rule out a last minute change in plans and hitting the Ohio River for some cats instead. Got a new cast net over the weekend and I can't think of a better way to break it in than catching some shad and doing a little cattin'. Hopefully, I'll find a flathead or 10. :D

My guess on the pic with the tree/root ball is the Silver Creek area. I got the Jay lake ones right. As much time as I've spent in there this year musky fishing (but not catching), I should get that one right.

Barry

13. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

Caught three, didn't measure them. Big enough for eating though. I'd guess 18-20". We caught them fishing for crappie.
    They had what looked like partially digested bluegill in their bellies. 3-4" long. What someone on the site might call "gill goo".