close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Understanding the misunderstood

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by kyost, Aug 18, 2004.

1. I'm trying to understand one of the most misunderstood and most improperly used tools in fishing and boating; the fishfinder! I've come to the conclusion that, from what I've read on this forum and other sources on the internet, that any unit that has a FishID feature (shows the pretty fishy symbols) should be turned off. I also understand that a fish finder cannot interpret the difference between a fish and other underwater structure (floating or otherwise).

My unit (an Eagle Trifinder2) as I understand it, will show fish arches when I turn the FishID feature off. So my question is, if I do turn the FishID feature off and my unit shows arches, how do I know if it's actually marking fish or structure? What makes the difference if it marks a fish symbol or an arch?

If you reply, please don't direct me to a link because I've read them all. Thanks!

2. You don't. But, usually if it's floating off the bottom, it's a fish. Another reason it's recommended to turn the fish ID off is that it uses a lot of power. You'll get a better return with it off.

3. Doctor

Doctor CJ Cat Attack Pack

Wow, Catfishunter33 awesome link you posted, don't own a color chart but that was pretty straight forward........thanks...........Doc

4. KYOST The reason the fish show as a arch is the signal that is sent out reads the fish as it bonces back the head and tail being less dence and the body being thicker this is why you get the arch.The fish symbols are shone as any thing floating in the water that is not connected to the bottom,there for the arches are a better way of detecting fish. Hope this helps a little Good Luck FISHGUY

5. Corey

Corey OGF Team-Charter Member

An arch on your graph has nothing to do with the thickness or thinness or density. A bigger fish will simply show as a bigger arch. Geometrically, it is a longer distance down along the sides of a triangle (the cone) to the fish as it enters the cone, than it is when it is directly down below the transducer. As it moves through the cone or the boat moves over the fish, it starts further away, gets closer, then moves further away again as it leaves the other side of the cone. This is why motion, whether by the boat or the fish, is necessary for the formation of an arch.