Ohio Game Fishing banner
41 - 60 of 5179 Posts

· The end is near
10,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #163 ·
Yesterday, my wife and I were humbled beyond belief. We went to Wally World, and on the way in, off to the side, out of the way, sat an ol boy and his dog. He looked to be around 30ish and it appeared that everything he owned was in his backpack. He wasn't bothering nobody.
We went in to get a few things, when I came out, I walked over to him and said, hey brother, how long has it been since you've eaten? He said, It's been awhile. I gave him a small bag of the highest fat dog food I could find for his dog and about 25 for him. He did not look or talk like a druggie. He was a peaceful man. He said, what's your name? I said Tim. He said, mines Jacob. I said hang in there brother and we left.
It's hitting me just reliving it.
God has his ways.

· The end is near
10,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #166 ·
Thanks PK, and I don't give to the panhandlers at the intersections. Years ago when we moved here, my wife and I saw our first dude with a, will work for food sign. It literally tore my wife in two.
She had us go home and put some groceries in a couple of bags and hurry back to the spot. When I handed him the grub, he said, I don't want that, got any money?
We quickly learned a lesson.
Then another time, we got some fast food and parked remotely on a parking lot of a major business to eat before we went in. We watched 3 or 4 "bums" begging for money in front if a abandoned gas station. When they got enough, they'd go to a nearby gas station and buy a quart of beer and drink it behind the station while somebody was always begging out front. That makes you bitter towards them.

This guy was different and I could tell it. He was a drifter but he wasn't bothering a soul. As my hillbilly dad would of said, and now I think this is a hillbillism, that guy didn't have 2 nickel to rub together, a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of. (Please remember, I was born in southern WV, way back in a holler where they piped the sunshine in)( honest *****)

· The end is near
10,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #170 ·
Thank you everybody for all the kind words. I do believe my Mom who passed in 96 is watching over me and nudging me in the right direction. She's my guardian Angel.

Promise Keeper, you said something that stuck with me when you said, I need to learn that if I give with a right heart, the burden is on them.
That says it all right there brother.
Now about the ramps, funny story, Mom and Dad went to a ramp dinner one time and Mom didn't want to eat any because of the length of time they stay on your breath. Well she was talking about that and going to town on a salad when the person across the table looked at Dad and said, do you want to tell her or would you like for me too? :)

· The end is near
10,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #173 ·
It is tough to decide if people really need help or are scamming for drug/beer money. Moved back to Ohio in 2004 and shortly after seen a guy with his sign out front of Canton Wally World that he was stranded and needed help, well 13 years later he is still stranded and needing help.
Hey. don't judge him, he could have a chronic case of strandedness. He just needs to find his way in life. More $$$ might help him along. Throw a few twenties at him and I bet he'll find his way to the nearest booze hole. Cured!

Thanks Sherman, Mom might be guiding me but she knew I always was a little ornery.

· The end is near
10,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #182 ·
This reminds of the story of the farmer who learned he was going to get paid so much an acre by the govt. for not planting anything. So what kind of plants would I not plant per acre to get the most money per acre?

My question is what kind of oil would I not use to....
I'm kidding, would my synthetic work and will it always be messy to the touch? Mama won't likey if it is. May have to go to something else.

· The end is near
10,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #187 ·
To those who suggested motor oil, I'm sure It's prolly the best. Come to think of it, I've seen it on beds and never gave it any mind. I guess I just took it for granted.
But as I said, the wifey'll never go for it. About the time we put a piece of her Mom's furniture on it......Katie bar the door. :)
If I was hauling gattling guns or cannons, it'd be different.

· The end is near
10,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #202 ·
Hey Jack, I asked everybody politely not to judge me on the doll house. (That goes for Sherm) K?

We were so poor growing up in southern WV, that if I didn't wake up in the morning without some decent wood....I didn't have nothing to play with all day. Let me tell you Jack, I kept myself pretty busy. :)

41 - 60 of 5179 Posts