close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Unbelievably Shady Time Warner Giveaway

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by AndroDoug, Nov 8, 2004.

1. AndroDoug

AndroDoug Duke of Bucketmouth

The bar I was at to watch the Browns game had a High-Definition TV give away. It was sponsored by Time Warner Cable and the 52" HDTV also came with 1 year of HD service from Warner. The TV itself came from a local electronics store, also in on the promo.

Raffle tickets were 3 for 10 bucks. You also had to be in attendance to win. There were about 500 tickets sold and the bar was absolutely PACKED! The drawing was held at halftime and the place came to a standstill at that time. A guy from the electronics store stands up and pulls a ticket... the ticket held by the Time Warner representative present! :mad: :mad: The freakin' guy was standing next to the TV as the ticket was pulled! :confused: The Time Warner guy won the HDTV!!! Come on...

There was some confusion by me and many others at first, as the guy barely just nodded that he was the winner. He only had to walk 3 feet to hand over his ticket. There was 150 people jammed around this scene, and the guy who won barely made it noticable the HE won, and they went on to the consolation prizes. It wasn't till after the drawing was over that I realized who had won. Can you believe it? Why was he allowed in the competition?

This little giveaway was supposed to promote Warner Cable I would assume! When the contest rep wins the prize...what good does THAT do? :p :p

What an unbelievably stupid company! What a ripoff...

2. the fix was in.

3. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

I'd call Time Warner and ask what their policy is concerning promotions and employees being able to participate. Then explain to them what happen. It sounds like a conflict of interest and volation of company policy.

4. AndroDoug

AndroDoug Duke of Bucketmouth

ESPN promotions (or something like that) was the actual organizer of this event it seems. I just talked to to my buddy, whose brother is a bartender there, and as I understand now, the bar received over a thousand dollars to have this event and provide free food. But there was NO FREE FOOD GIVEN OUT!

The bar owner, all his Browns buddies, the Time Warner guy, the Electronics store guy, and the ESPN dude, and whoever else, all watched the game in the private banquet room. The owner and his associates always watch the game in there, and last night was no different. Makes me wonder....

The ESPN guy came over and explained (after the drawing) that "everyone was available to win, and it was just one of those things". There were more than a couple of people jabbering and muttering, myself included. I ended up going home in the 3rd qtr. My buddies with me really didn't think anything of it, but I think they are crazy!

This whole thing smells like a rat and I think everyone got their pockets lined with this one. At 5 bucks a pop, or 3 for 10$, they probably raked in 1200-1500 bucks. Add that to whatever the parent companies/organizers added to the pot. The bar was also packed to firecode capacity (or more!), so they made a killing on drinks and food. The HDTV itself was about a 1,200$ model, but it looked like it was a floor-model or maybe refurbished. Either way you slice it, It looks like all of us "patrons" were taken, :mad: and a few guys are laughing all the way to the bank! :mad:

5. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

yeah but that tv is gonna look sweet in the bar owners house.

(disgusting..... :mad: )

im suprised there wasnt a riot.....at least i hope everyone realizes what a snake the owner of that place is.

You really lose your faith in people when you see stuff like that happen.

6. UFM82

UFM82 The one others want to be

"im suprised there wasnt a riot"- Since this was apparently a Browns game, I second that "riot" comment.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA

Remember, I'm not from Cleveland. LOL

UFM82

Thanks Coach Wyche!!!