close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ulua?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Rooster, Sep 9, 2005.

1. Also known as Giant Trevally. Anyone ever fish for Ulua? I’m going to Hawaii here in a few weeks, and I think that I might just have to catch me one of those BIG monsters! They catch them from shore in excess of 100lbs, and they are regarded as one of the strongest fighting fish in the world…….They should really put my Snoopy rod to the test! Any information would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

Here is a pic of a "small" 50lb Ulua:

[​IMG]

2. Looks like a jackfish, but a very big one ! Oh, what a fight !!!
    How in the world did you score a trip to Hawaii?

3. Hawaii is easy, a LOT of skymiles, and the wife loves the beach…….a weekend end trip with the guys to AEP is a totally different story! LOL

I think that they are related to jacks. I’m going to try dunking bait (octopus) for them, and even more exciting is the idea of hooking into one of these monsters on a topwater lure.

4. I hope you have a great time. Bring back some pictures of the fish and more of the beach.

5. Riverman

Riverman Banned

Now that's fishing. The rope hanging on the rod makes me wonder if it was tied to the rocks or the fisherman. That fish would pull me in.

6. They tie the rods down to a spike nailed into the rocks.....big mean fish!

Walter-

[​IMG]

Here is a pic of Anini beach 1/1/2000

I don’t remember catching anything, but it was a nice morning to be fishing! The wife had me running all over the island during our prior trips, but I plan to do a LOT more fishing this time. Even found out that there are SMALLIES in some of the rivers, and I have a kayak rental scheduled!

7. shuvlhed1

shuvlhed1 Banned

and not taking a boat out to marlin fish. makes sense.

8. Perch

Perch Perch Addict

Going to Hawaii, and not taking a boat out to Marlin Fish at $1,000 or better for a Half day seems pretty dang smart to me !! :p

Good luck Rooster, and catch a biggun !!

9. I'm headin there in December for two weeks and staying on Kauai. I can't wait to do a little fishing either...It would be sweet to hook into a fish that big. We may try to do a marlin trip as well but they definitely aren't cheap....

Kevin

10. shuvlhed1

shuvlhed1 Banned

$275 for a full day (8 hours) of Marlin fishing out of Kona. (Might be $300 now) Aboard the 28' Mariah with Captian Jay Lightey, I believe. And he catches fish. Research before you speak. I did, and it paid off with a small 140lb blue marlin.

11. This will be my 5th trip to Kauai, and I have shared a charter on all of the previous trips. They were mostly uneventful, but I did land at least one fish on each trip (Mahi Mahi and a small Ahi). Sharing a trip is fairly cheap (I think that I paid around $100 for a ½ day trip each time). You will EASILY pay more than that for dinner! However, for me, trolling is not fishing. Yes, it would be nice to fight a Marlin, but I would get more satisfaction out of catching a 10LB Ulua or a peacock bass on my own. I might grab a charter, but I don't have one planned. To each his own.

Hoss5355- If you have any questions about Kauai, just let me know. I’m very familiar with the island (food, beaches, sights).