close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ultralight Cattin'

Discussion in 'Southeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by oufisherman, Jun 14, 2004.

1. Now that graduation is over and family has left town, I can get back on my favorite site and share (okay, brag a little) about my trip last Friday. I picked up 2 dozen crappie and bass minnows to hit the pond with a buddy. It was the same pond where I caught the 7 pound hybrid mentioned in an earlier post. Live bait always seems to outfish artificial in this pond. I started fishing with minnows on my ultralight outfit, 4# test and 4.5' pole while my buddy used my bigger one.
    We started catching some crappie and then I caught a small hybrid about 17 inches. My buddy pulled another in about that same size later. It was after the hybrid that the fun started. I had a hit on the minnow and set the hook. The fish stayed down and started taking some drag. After a few minutes of holding on with the ultralight bent pretty good, I figured I had something else. Finally after 10 minutes, maybe 12 I was able to get the fish to the bank and away from the dock. It went 14# and 30 inches long, :eek: I don't know how that little crappie hook stayed in. It was pure excitement to catch one that big on the ultralight.
    The moring wasn't over as I pulled in another catfish that went 5.5# and 22 inches long. I also ended the morning by pulling in a 5.5# hybrid on a minnow. All of these big fish were caught on the ultralight set-up, it was a good thing I put fresh line on the night before! ;) I have found a new joy in fishing with the ultralight more often, for bass and bluegill. Thanks for reading and letting me brag just a little.

2. 14 lb cat on that lite of outfit...better be glad you were at a pond!!!!!!

3. Sounds like you had a good morning!!!!