7,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
for those that might not of seen them

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=hT1l7J9X5XA[/ame]

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=isOsYhmQ4dE[/ame]

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Ugly stik used to be my favorite rod. Then I acquired a much nicer, and more expensive rod. In terms of sensitivity, the ugly stik didn't even come close to that of my fenwick rod. I still have my ugly stiks and I suppose they still serve some purpose, but I almost never use them anymore. They just don't compare to a nice graphite rod.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Amusing commercials but at one tackle warehouse ( Oscar Robbins ) a sales Rep. showed me a 55 Gallon drum.

It was filled with broken Ugly Sticks awaiting pick up by Shakespeare. We had to put a sign up in our tackle shop " If you break it you bought it ". Even the early Shakespeare ads gave the consumer the false impression that they were unbreakable. People started assuming that unless you couldn't bend the rod double without its breaking the rod was defective. Almost as bad as those infomercials that show miracle fishing lures that catch fish no matter what.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
A few years back I picked up an ugly stik lite, the one that has more graphite in it. My third or fourth fishing trip with it, I got hung up on a rock ledge. While I was trying to get my line free, the rod broke right at the grip. Their customer service was pretty quick at replacing it though.

·
the Susan Lucci of OGF
15,866 Posts
well I guess im out numbered here, ive got over 12 ugly sticks in my aresenal., if I go down stairs and count its probably more like 15 or so, ive got white catfish rods (which ive used pier fishing), $90 trolling rods, (actually steelhead rods) ugly stick lite with a cork grip (my jigging rod) and ive only ever had one break, it was from me doing the grab the tip and pull it down to the butt, snap, it was in a store and I put it back before anyone saw me.lol.! ive also got st Croix rods too (just 2 now) I was drifting down the Mahoning river, got a sang and It snapped like a match when I put some pressure on it, none of my ugly sticks ever did that, I was always able to spin the canoe and either bite my line or get the snag out. I like my ugly sticks and will never give em up :).

·
Registered
7,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ugly stik used to be my favorite rod. Then I acquired a much nicer, and more expensive rod. In terms of sensitivity, the ugly stik didn't even come close to that of my fenwick rod. I still have my ugly stiks and I suppose they still serve some purpose, but I almost never use them anymore. They just don't compare to a nice graphite rod.

depends on it's intended purpose. for trolling, hard to beat the CAL1100 though!

I did buy a Ugly stick spinning rod and don't care for it too much.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
depends on it's intended purpose. for trolling, hard to beat the CAL1100 though!

I did buy a Ugly stick spinning rod and don't care for it too much.
Trolling in my kayak is one of the only times I use my ugly stiks anymore. That would be one of the few purposes they serve for me. When trolling, I don't really need the sensitivity. I do need that durability though. However, 98% of my fishing is done by casting, jigging, or tight lining and the sensitivity of a graphite rod is a must.

·
Konfused Kayaker
5,113 Posts
Uglystiks are tougher 'cause their tips are fiberglass.
Why make a rod of graphite, then kill the sensitivity with 12-16" of glass?
At least that's my 1 1/2 cents.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
An Uglystik was my main weapon for years. They may not be super sensitive but that rod still paid for itself over and over again with all the fish it caught. I usually use it as a loaner now when I bring friends fishing. Last fall when a friend was using it, he accidentally cast the top half out in to the Great Miami River, and Dandrews caught it a couple months later and returned it. Lost the ceramic insert on the tip guide but otherwise works just fine. It is a fine workingman's rod.

·
Registered
771 Posts
im currently using ugly stiks....broke my baitcaster one in half reeling in a 15" bass....are they my favorite? no. but im poor, so they're just gonna have to do for now. st. croix or wright & mcgill will probably be my next ones.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts