Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13,787 Posts
Good looking fish. Where'd you get them? Just a body of water, I don't want to steal your spot. LOL.

I'll be at Mosquito in a club crappie tournament this Saturday, then it's for fun at West Branch Sunday. I'll post some more pix too. That gill reminds me of the Presque Isle ice gills. I have pix of those in the photo gallery. Fun to catch and TASTY!!!

Carl

·
Registered
13,787 Posts
LOL! I see! I wouldn't be worried either! LOL..

Decent fish though. Nice job.

Carl

·
Multi-Species Fanatic
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Carl,
I still can't get one over 13" though, one last year that size and one this year so far at 13"... I want one of the big slab wall hangers!... also I only catch white crappie- Does Ohio have anywhere where black crappie are dominant? I've gotten a few at Fostoria #6, but the pictures didn't turn out... was curious if there was any place else....

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Coolwater -

1st off nice fish! I've been having an excellent crappie/gill year so far myself. :D

Although white crappie dominate Indian Lake, you can score big on black crappie there too at times. I don't know the secret, but I've whacked 'em pretty good a few times in the past - only whites out of there so far this year.

As a general comment -

I seem to find more black crappie in the smaller bodies of water - farm ponds, strip ponds, gravel pits, and lakes <200 acres. It may have something to do with the fact that the blacks do not reproduce as well; = good for smaller bodies of water. :confused:

·
Registered
13,787 Posts
I've seen some hawg black crappie come out of Portage Lakes, and seen some 13-14 inch slabbers come out of West Branch. I'll be yanking them out of Mosquito and West Branch all weekend, I hope.

Carl

1 - 7 of 7 Posts