Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I'm tryin to start Putin together my own harnesses. Heard good things about gamakatsu octopus #1 &#2 hooks. Also been hearing about a lot of missed fish at the boat. Been toying around the idea of putting circle hooks on my rigs. Either top or bottom hook or both. I'd like to hear some opinions about this. I'm gonna try this weekend with one of my favorite colors (phantom) and get back to you guys with results , unless you guys tell me it's a bad idea. My theory behind it is that when trolling, the hook set has already happened when you notice the rod bumping and with circles there will be a much better chance of landing the hog. Please tell me if I'm dead wrong do I can put this idea to rest, otherwise I'm going for it and I'll report back.
Thanks

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
927 Posts
I bought some Gamakatzu size 1 oct in-inline circle hooks (stk# 221310) last week and tied some harnesses with them. They are extremely sharp, almost dangerously sharp as I learned first hand when the hook slipped while I was tying the harness and it stuck me good, and they also have a slight angled lip on the tip. The only fish we lost Saturday with them was because the net guy got the front hook caught in the net before he got scooped under the fish and it pulled the hook out on us while he was trying to free up the net. I will definitely buy more of these rather than the regular size 1 octopus hooks.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow. That sounds great. I just got back from Jann's Netcraft and got a pack of 1 &2's. I guess I'll go back tomorrow and grab some 2/0's. I went in there just wantin hooks and walked out with $100 worth of stuff. Can't wait to tell the wife what I did. I'm glad I work out of town cause she would probably figure out how to use my AR-15 that I just got in trouble for buying!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok guys I finally got to use my hand made harness with #1 gamakatsu octopus circle hook. Caught allot of fish! I will however switch to #2/0 because I did in fact lose a hog at the boat. ... it was at least 36"! Anyway here's a pic of my own custom baits that slayed them yesterday. Bait Spoon lure Fishing lure Fishing bait Fish hook

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.