close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Type and size of fish with highest "Fight/Weight" ratio

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Banker, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Banker

Banker Banned

In your experiences what type and size of fish do you think offers the highest "Fight/Weight" ratio?

I'll go with a 3.5" smallie. That's about the smallest I've caught. Scale it up to 40lbs and I think it'd kick a **ski** a**

2. I know this may sound funny, but for their size I would have to go with the Crappie. I have had some mean fights come out of them. It's bad enough the guy above me said Carp (the fish that always reels right in for me), lets hope nobody says cats.

3. bronzebackyac

bronzebackyac Crick Smallie Fisherman

Its been said many a times. The smallie. any size. Crappie?.... come on

4. krustydawg

krustydawg KrustyDawg

Steelhead on light tackle gets my vote.

Krustydawg

5. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

Bronze,

Man I've had great fights on ultra lights with Warmouths from creeks. PLus man I've had some 5 inch Rockbass from Saltcreek make me think I've got an OHio record panfish on my line. Man thats a hard choice though, a dink smallie on the right tackle is a blast. I cant choose man! But what I will say is that is seems like th efight is better from a small creek than a large body of water.

6. Miso_Ohio

Miso_Ohio Green Eggs And Ham

My vote is for the classic Blue Gill, I have fished a farmers pond once with a bunch of very large (12" plus) blue gills in it. The fight they put out was incredible, they fought twice as hard as any bass of larger size that came from that pond. I would love to get back there someday but I do not know who owns it know.

As for crappie, why they may be fun to catch I would not even begin to rate them up there with some of the better fighting fish. As for carp coming straight at you when you reel them in, what size where they 2 inches? I know for a fact a small carp of around 6 lbs would snap 15 LB Mean Green Co Poly if you where to try to just reel it in. Flat out you are the first person I have heard say that carp don't fight very well, I just find that strange, or you sure you did not catch a white amur (grass carp) and not a common, big difference there.

7. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

In Ohio I guess it would be a bluegill.

I fresh water I really think it would have to be a king salmon. They offer an unbelievable combination of speed, strength and duration of fight.

8. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

I agree I've never caught a carp that didnt fight well, plus crappie even the larger ones that I've caught dont have the fight of a bluegill. Thats just me though.

9. midoh39

midoh39 member

Saugeye
    In the current youll think you have a rock.On light gear. Also Catfish

10. BigChessie

BigChessie BIG PIMPIN' "GIGELO"

After fighting some 20lb+ carp, my first thought was carp....but it is hard to not think of some nice big gills that will work you over. I also have had some crappie give up a nice battle. I guess it hard to name just one, but would be easy for the top 3.

11. bronzebackyac

I agree with you Mellon, warmouth and Rockbass are pretty fiesty. especially in a small creek. As for carp, they fight great, but they are usually big. I found out the hard way this weekend. I saw a huge carp in a riffle on Paint Creek and casted out my jig with a white grub twister on it. The thing nailed it. I fought it on two runs and it shook the hook. When i looked at my jig, it had straightened the hook out completely. Never had that happen before. So I do respect the common carp, just not my choice pound for pound.

12. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

i pretty much agree with lundy
    a king,fresh in from the salt,is like a superman with fins ;)
    faster than a speeding bullet,more powerful than a locomotive,and can leap tall waterfalls in a single bound :D

13. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

Bluegill for sure, can you imagine the fight a 20-lb bluegill would give you.

14. UFM82

UFM82 The one others want to be

Because a redfish will give you a fight like no freshwater fish will- a 5 lb red (little fish) will wear you out like no 5 lb smallie will. And I've caught both to know.

Saltwater fish fight harder than freshwater fish in my opinion; even the little ones. Go catch a 5 lb. Spanish Mac or a 10 lb. gag grouper and see what they do for you. I guarantee you'll not want to go back to freshwater.

My catfish gear was marginal for grouper.

UFM82

15. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

ufm,aren't redfish found in freshwater too?i know they're satwater fish,but they do at least move into brackish or freshwater estuaries/rivers.never caught one but know people who have,and have watched a lot of film,and agree,from what i've seen/heard,they are one fightin' fish.i have caught grouper,and they're like bulldogs:cool:
    one freshwater fish i forgot is hybrid stripers.those suckers are sure no slouch either :)

16. Hooch

Hooch Fare Thee Well!

Saltwater fish put up a lot more fight than freshwater fish, period. Why? I'm not sure. It might have to do with competition for food.
    In fresh water, creek or river fish will put up a much better fight due to living in the current most of the time.
    Wide bodied fish are harder to reel in because they turn sideways and use the water for resistance. They are all fun to catch! In Ohio, I love reeling in Sheephead at Lake Erie. It fights a lot like a carp, including lots of runs for the big ones.
    -Hooch-

17. I agree with misfit on the wipers.

18. Yellow fin tuna, only 28'' and i needed that fighting belt on for sure. I think any saltwater fish will fight harder than a freshwater of similar size, but seeing as we live in ohio i'd say that bluegill pull harder but you can't beat a smallie for the acrobatics. Those things are like rockets, 20 ft deep to 5 feet in the air in a few seconds. I did catch a monster bowfin in a tournament last summer on St. Clair that i thought was the world record bass or a muskie. As far as the best fighter out of water i would sat a pike...my buddy caught a 33'' one that broke his stringer and hooked his finger on the fall, then buried the treble into the bone once if was on the bank. It made for a great day of fishing and nice evening in the hospital. Gotta carry the "fish be good stick" when you're fishing for those.

19. bronzebackyac

Thats good stuff. lol