close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

tying braided line

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by dannoll, Aug 18, 2005.

1. i just got some braied and would like to know what knot shoud i use clinch alot but dont seem to clinch up tight enough

2. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

I always tie palomars with braid. Actually, I tie palomars every chance I get, braid or mono.

Clinch's tend to slip with braid, never tried an improved clinch on braid though.

3. i got hung and broke lie but did not sliped
    line

4. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

palomar. quick, easy, strong.

5. bronzebackyac

bronzebackyac Crick Smallie Fisherman

My cousin did a science fair project on the strength of knots with 8lb mono. He found that the palomar knot was superior in strength almost 2x over. The obvious reason was that the line is double through the eyelet, so double the strength. I don't see why you would want to sit there and count seven wraps around the line then try to thread the line through the loop. Just learn the palomar and you will be much more happy. I notice that I don't have very many breadoffs at the knot anymore now that I use it all of the time.

6. I use palomar on all braid and often times on mono anymore. The only time that it is a pain to tie is when you are rigging something big. In particular the bottom bouncers are a bit cumbersome because you have to loop back over such a large object. Hooks and smaller lure are pretty easy with it once you get used to it. The trilene knot that I tied pretty much all of my life seems complicated when you teach it to someone but after doing it for so long it becomes easy. The palomar should become just as easy over time.

7. I guess I'm the only one that HATES the palomar knot. :D
    What was he comparing? Those numbers don't jive with anything I've read, but most do agree the Palomar is one of the better knots for super braids.

8. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

Okay, I'm confused...!
    Why not use a snap lock or swivel for bigger terminal tackle or hooks...??? Seems to me it would save a lot of cutting to make changes.

I use the palomar almost exclusively for terminal knots. For joining braid to mono a double uni-not works well. For mono to mono a blood knot is the ticket.

I've read the Palomar retains 98% of it's rated strength. There's couple that retains 100% but are bulkier and more difficult to tie.

9. I don't like all of the extra terminal tackle and the snap lock or swivel can get tangle more easily than the knot itself. Besides I have become adept enough at tying the palomar over those big things that I don't waste line. Once I slip over the top I draw back the excess line before pulling the knot tight. I usually don't have to worry about tying this often as I leave one rig for bouncers and harnesses almost exclusively.

10. I agree that "2X" has to be an overstatement. There are several other knots that perform rather high. While the palomar may be better the others are well above 90% knot strength.

11. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

Alright, that clears things up a bit. I guess I envisioned a cutting/retying senario everytime a bait change was needed. But if the BB is always in place a swap of harnesses/lure is all that's needed. ;)

12. UFM82

UFM82 The one others want to be

I HATE tying palomars- particularly on a crankbait. I fish braid exclusively and still use an improved clinch knot. Never had one slip out- the line will break first. I don't use that glue either- I tie a 6 or 7 wrap clinch knot, wet the line and draw it down. No issues and I fish both the 2/10 Spiderwire and the 6/30. I also fish the 65lb Power Pro and don't tie palomars unless I'm bored and want to take the extra time.

If you tie a good know to start with and draw it down properly, I think either one works just fine.

UFM82

13. I agree with UFM82, I have used mono, flouro, and braids, and an improved clinch knot has always worked great for me. I've gotten snagged up on some things pretty bad and yanked on lines tied with an improved clinch knot and can never remember my knot failing.

14. In addition, the palomar knot cuts into itself less than the improved or double-improved knots. This elevates the strength rating.