close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

two trailer questions

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by dip, Jun 15, 2007.

1. dip

dip dip

how does one tell what size bearings their trailer uses and how do bearing buddies go on/come off? thanx.

2. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

spindle diameter,but the best way to get the right bearing size is get the number off the old ones.and bearing buddies just go on and off the same way standard dust caps do.

3. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

take the old bearings with you to the boat shop. auto parts stores don't carry marine parts. i just went thru this a few months ago and after several wrong bearings and races i went to the boat shop and he had an entire kit for each wheel. i tried to get timken at auto zone.HAHAHAHA!!! just go to the marine dealer and save yourself some headaches.

4. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

i'm not sure of dealer prices,but most are much higher than other sources.any rv/trailer sales/supply store can hook you up,and probably for less money.

5. "EYE" DOCTOR

"EYE" DOCTOR "EYE" DOCTOR

You should be able to get the bearings and bearing buddys at Tractor supply in the trailer section.

6. I know Napa used to carry marine parts,they even had their own marine catalog.Marine waterpumps,fuelpumps,points,heat exchangers,etc.

1) I get mine at Napa.

2) Bearing buddies: Get the correct size,rubber mallet, and an oak board,keep bearing buddy perfectly centered/even,and whack them in.

Removing them, Rubber mallet-hitting them-not super hard- in different directions to work them out. Maybe a pipe wrench if the whackin doesn't work them loose?

7. dip

dip dip

thanx gang. i did the correct thing and went to the joint i got the boat and axed them, he said 1 1/16 axle. also claims the e-z lube (not bearing buddies) just need to be loaded up w/grease once per year and good to go. i make sure i got good boat insurance and maybe it flames up on me on highway 9?

8. I got bearing buddies and still believe it is desirable to check the bearings over annually and adjust the nut for proper play. I do it before every trip to Canada. Seals can wear out and allow the grease to quickly leak out. I change out seals every other year. Water and dirt can sneak in and ruin bearings easily. I keep a spare complete set of inner/outer bearings, seals, and some grease in my van for the emergency roadside savior....

9. I agree with ohiojmj. Bearing buddies (or whatever brand) are too often relied upon for bearing maintenance. Usually people just fill the zerk with grease, and think it is good to go forever, WRONG! The buddies tend to only provide grease to the outside bearing. You should pull both inner and outer bearings clean and re-pack at least once a year. Another thing experience teaches, just like ohiojmj said, carry a spare set of bearings (maybe a hub as well). It is cheap insurance and peace of mind.

10. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

thanks for the reminder.i installed new hub assemblies last year and forgot to put the spare assembly in my boat for that unforeseen breakdown.it's still laying on the shelf in the garage:eek: