Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were trolling for walleye off Geneva in 73 feet of water yesterday and did catch 2 steelhead and 35 walleyes or so but had two hard hits on dipsy and line was bit off near lure instantly . I just tied all new leaders with 20 lb test fluorocarbon leader material tied on with high quality snaps.. All knots were wetted and tested. No fray in line just bit off. Never had that happen before trolling Erie. So is hat a steelhead thing? I thought 20lb test leader was good enough trolling for walleye. Is everyone using stronger leader material than that. Yes I had snubbers on too!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Last April I was trolling Bandits by the islands. Something hit and doubled the rod over. Before I could get it out of the holder the line went slack. When I got it back the body of the lure was missing from the front treble back. Only thing I could think of was a Musky or a huge Catfish

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Check your drags a lot throughout the day, when you get decent wave surge they should creep a little when they're right. Most of the time even on lake Ontario I only run 20lb or maybe 25lb flourocarbon leaders even when fishing for kings.

reelylivinsportfishing.com

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
X3 on your drags. It’s easier to tighten them up when you need to. Steelhead are vicious slammers and just like salmon they will rip your equipment up if you don’t adjust to the lighter side.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Having been bitten off many times over the years. at least 12 times at Berlin one Spring, these are the clues I have seen. If it's a poor knot there will be a little twist or more at the end of the line. That's my fault. With a bite-off it will be a clean cut. Just as if done with a sharp knife. When you set the hook you feel almost nothing.

·
1 fish is a he!! of alot more than none.
1,974 Posts
I had two bite offs in front of Gold Coast on Sunday also. I was puzzled too but when the 2nd bite off, was just below the front hook on a harness, I figures the teeth must have gotten it just the right way, or wrong way for me.
Rickerd

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
There have been some impressive steelhead being caught this year. They hit like tanks at full speed and don't slow down. We had a fish hit the downrigger this past Sunday that simply wouldn't come up. It got off and we never got to see what it was. But we did land two other steelhead. Drag set right, inspect leaders after every trip, etc...all help, but it does happen.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

·
Fishin-For-Fun
2,363 Posts
Bull Sharks. I have been marking them for years on Erie and have had quite a few break offs that you describe too. We have even had walleye and steelhead with tooth marks in them when they get to the boat. Why else do you think there are no perch in the central basin and ODNR keeps making up biological excuses like they are eating bugs, etc... Its the Bull Sharks! Privateer Sport Fishing is quietly offering Bull Shark charters out of Geneva-on-the-Lake (shark central IMO). Different from the walleye charters of no-fish-no-pay policy, the Bull Shark charters are its-free-if-you-boat-one... that's right, you boat a Bull Shark on a Privateer charter and it is FREE - you don't even have to tip the firstmate. special for July/Aug 2021 - rates are the same as a walleye charter. call for open dates...

moderators: not really a charter solicitation. or is it, hmmm... SHARK ON!!

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
There are more muskies in the lake than people realize, but never heard of them being that far east. My buddy has caught 3 over the last 10 yrs but they were all around Huron/Vermilion area in 15-25 ft of water. Guess you never know?

·
Registered
377 Posts
There is a good population of musky in the grand river. Geneva is really close so that would be my guess. I've been wanting to try fairport harbor and out in the lake for them for awhile now. One of these days Im going to stop thinking about it and actually do it.

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
We also have Northern Pike in Ashtabula. See them spawning in the spring in the lagoon at our boat club.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

·
Catcher of big fish
628 Posts
I got a deal on Berkley Vanish flouro a couple years ago. Tied some harnesses and leaders early spring, had what I thought was bite offs that summer, several a trip a couple times. Finally retied everything with fresh Seagaur and haven’t had a problem since. Just a bad batch of flouro is what I have concluded.

·
1 fish is a he!! of alot more than none.
1,974 Posts
I've been using Seaquar 20# and had the experience I mentioned. I just think it is a fluke. I've been using that stuff for 10 years plus and only a couple other break offs I can remember.
Rickerd

·
Registered
755 Posts
I got a deal on Berkley Vanish flouro a couple years ago. Tied some harnesses and leaders early spring, had what I thought was bite offs that summer, several a trip a couple times. Finally retied everything with fresh Seagaur and haven’t had a problem since. Just a bad batch of flouro is what I have concluded.
I too used to use that Berkley Vanish flourocarbon for my leaders,had problems with it breaking and switched to Seaguar and have not looked back.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts