close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Two 12v batteries paralleled??

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by smallieguy, Mar 20, 2005.

1. smallieguy

smallieguy Smallmouth Please

Anybody had any luck doing this? Does it increase your run time?
    Any feedback would be helpful.
    Thank You.

2. Running your batteries in parallel will certainly lengthen your run time if you don't over draw them. I had a 12 volt TM last year on 2 12 volt batteries that never failed or took very long to re-charge. I have a 12/24 TM this year, and will run parallel again for the time being. Until I isolate the accessory plug upfront for the FF, I can't run 24v to it without risking burning up the FF.

Two suggestions. Motorgudie, and I assume Minnkota, has a diagram on their website to help you along. It shows set-ups for 12 volt parallel, 24 volt serial, and the like. TritonBilla lso sent me some diagrams last year and I'm sure he'd be more than willing to help you. Unless, he's playing ping pong again :D !

Eric

3. smallieguy

Thanks Eric, I got a diagram from optimas website.

4. sparkywest28

sparkywest28 sparkywest28

Yes,You can parallel Your batteries.It will be the same voltage and draw power from both batteriers instead of one,so lasting 2x as long.You can parallel as many batteries as you can put in your boatas long as they are hooked up wright.All you do is connect the + to + and -to-.Then hook up the trolling motor to one of the batteries.Make sure the connections are wright or You will put the batteries in series and make 24 volts.Not good for a 12volt trolling motor.GO BUCKEYES!

5. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

I've always done this. Batteries hold in 8 hours of wind.

6. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

could someone explain what you gain from paralelling batteries as opposed to switching after X(HRS)

7. Timbr

Timbr Alaska Grayling

Just don't charge them that way. Disconnect and charge one battery at a time. You will fry one of them if you don't. I learned the hard way.

Tim

8. Reel Man

Reel Man Member

Johnboy- you don't have to go to the trouble of unhooking one battery to hook up another half way through your day. You can charge both batteries at the same time when they are in parallel it just takes twice as long as charging one battery that is run down to the same point. If you run all day and only discharge your batteries half way though it shouldn't take much longer to charge them then it would take if you had only been using one battery and completely discharged it.

9. I probably shouldn't be commenting here because I don't have this type of a setup, but it seems to me everything would work just fine until one cell goes bad.

I would reconnect instead of paralleling.

10. To be connected in parallel the batteries should be the same age, size, brand, capacity, and state of charge. Connecting two unequal batteries will cause the better battery to discharge to the level of the lower quality battery. This will lower the combined capacity to a level lower than the sum of the individual batteries.

If you connect two identical batteries in parallel you theoretically have the combined Amp-Hour rating of the two. This is fine providing you are back at the ramp when they both go dead on your electric only lake. I would much rather run my electric motor on one battery then if it goes dead switch to the other battery and you should have the juice to get back to the ramp. At least you know not to go any farther away.

11. smallieguy

I will be running 3 maybe 4 batteries this year. 2 paralleled on the
    bowmount and 1 on the transom mount (my backup motor) and another
    1 on my livewell/electronics.