Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking to go to tuscawaras river this weekend and try to get my first bowfin....is there any good spots thats loaded with them along the river? Also what should I use....I have never fished for bowfin or at tuscawaras so any tips would help....also is the river high right now?

Sent from my DROID4 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
491 Posts
That place has been packed since the posts announcing the bowfin.

Fish between canal fulton and massillon on the tusc. Try the cherry street bridge off 21 in massillon.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
That place has been packed since the posts announcing the bowfin.

Fish between canal fulton and massillon on the tusc. Try the cherry street bridge off 21 in massillon.
You are not kidding! i counted 14 vehicles there one day... parking lot was full, some cars were parking on the street.
There are many other good spots too... follow the river on google earth and you will see many access points all along the towpath trail from Summit Co all the way to Tuscarawas Co. , just as good of fishing as Canal Fulton too.

·
Bass Slayer
48 Posts
These fish are fun to catch. I have a spot in the tusc that I won't disclose but it's around new phila by some fast flowing water... Lol I've caught them in the calm pools on chicken liver, cranks, rooster tail, spinnerbait, buzzbait, twistertails etc... Not hard to catch. I'll prolly never eat another though. Ha. Didn't taste bad but super greasy!

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Worst fisherman ever.
38 Posts
3 times this week I was there, and only one other person was there.

Even Mike wasn't even there when I was this week, and we see each other oftem, sooooooooooooooooo....... Overcrowding doesn't seem to be a problem.

BTW I know for an absolute fact I hooked the state record yesterday on a live bluegill. Got to see it and everything, I've caught a 9.3 this year and this was easily 2lbs bigger, until I seen the line go slack and him swimming away with my leader. Either he ripped up 50lb fireline, or I need to go back to knot school. Going with option 2.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What seems to work better....cut blugill or live bluegill....and do they like the slow deep pockets better or faster shallower pockets

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also should I use steel leaders

·
Worst fisherman ever.
38 Posts
I have more luck on cut. Shiners give you the possibility of pike or bass though. But for bowfin, big cutbait, big fish. I like the banks where it's not flowing, seems to be the best spot 3-4 feet off the bank. Use leaders and big line. They have tough ass mouths so a good hookset is paramount to landing them because they will thrash hard close to shore, lost many that way.

I should be down sometime sat to give it a whirl.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the tipss!!! And when u say not flowing is it the deeper calm pockets you are talking about or like the run offs

·
Worst fisherman ever.
38 Posts
Just the deeper pockets out of the current. I'm no fisherman so I don't know terms, so uhh, I just throw where the current doesn't take my bait downstream.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts