Tuscarawas River 9/25

Discussion in 'Southeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by r9ptbuck, Sep 24, 2007.

1. Floated the Tusc. yesterday (9/23) with my dad, and it ended up being the best day of fishing we had all year. We caught 40 smallmouth, 2 pike, and 1 largemouth. We had several doubles, and towards evening lost a couple of monsters on top water blow ups! It was awesome!!:) :B

2. Sounds like a great trip! This time of year is awesome on the Tusc.

3. It was a great trip, cant wait to the next one.

fishing_marshall do you fish the tusc. often? Do you do any good in the winter?

4. When I'm not away at school I fish the Tusc. every chance I get. I catch quite a few pike in the winter. Chubs, shiners, and husky jerks. I have yet to figure out the saugeye bite in the winter on the Tusc.

5. Sounds like an awesome day! I love this time of year on the Tusc., too. Buzzbaits produce really well for pike and smallies most days in the fall.

I fish the Tusc. in the winter when I get the chance. Pike fishing can be awesome then. Most of my bigger pike have come December-February. It seems like they like to hang out near heavy cover like logs and anywhere with slow current adjacent to the main channel. I usually use a smithwick rogue twitched really slowly, or I slow roll a white spinnerbait around structure. They seem to stay pretty shallow too. I don't think I ever fish deeper than like 4 or 5 ft in winter.

But I haven't figured out the winter saugeye bite at all. I have no idea where those guys go in the cold water.

6. Those winter eyes go in my belly!

7. Thanks for all the information guys, I appreciate it!

8. crittergitter

crittergitter Multi Species Angler

It has been my experience that saugeye are just not very active at all during the winter. They can be caught, but it is really tough. My uncle and I have fished some resevoirs loaded with saugeye during the winter through the ice and in about 4 years we caught 2 or 3 eyes. We catch them regularly during spring, summer and fall, but when it gets real cold they shut off completely.

CG

9. I've caught them from a tributary of the Tusc. in the winter and I know of a few guys that catch a ton of them in the winter. Lakes like Piedmont and Buckeye are great winter saugeye lakes.

10. tcba1987

tcba1987 Tuscarawas River Angler

i catch most of my saugeye in Dec....Jan....Feb.....fishing the Tusc and A tributary of the Tusc !! Fish SLOWLY and use 3-4 inch Grubs and Sassy Shad style bodies fished right on the bottom on a 1/8 to 1/4 oz leadhead. Ive caught both deep and shallow in the winter........experiment till you find one and theres usually more around !!!

I CANT seem to figure put the winter pike :confused: