Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever fished the tuscarawas river in tusc county for big cats. or if anybody else knows were there is a river or lake that is producing big cats let me know. i usually go to the ohio river but this yr with all the rain and gas prices i cant afford it. thats a 2 hr drive for me. so im looking for something around stark or tusc county areas. thanks

·
'Tusc River Rat
240 Posts
the tusc. holds big cats, both channels, and flatheads - but, with all of this rain, and the fact that the dover dam is closed, with lots of water behind it, it probably wont be fishable for at least two weeks - fyi, 'Rude Dog.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Guys,

I too would like to try the Tusc for channel & flathead cats. My brother is coming up over the 4th & is a big catfish fan (fishes the Great Miami in Dayton). I told him I'd try to find a nice catfish location.

Can anyone give me a little help on Tusc catfishing? What I could really use is:

1. Where can I launch a 14' boat (I live just north of Canton) that provides good access to a few holes

2. Maybe point me in the direction of a hole or two where I might find some flatheads.

Thanks for the help!

Dave

·
'Tusc River Rat
240 Posts
lots of good area to try-mostly bank fishing, although you can launch @ dover ski club($ 2.00 launch fee, "honor system") -which will get you about 1 to 1 1/2 mi. upstream, you can also launch just below the water treatment plant in dover - p.m. for more details, good places to fish -I sure hope the tusc goes down soon- need to do some night fishing for cats !!!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
does anyone know the water level of the tusc. river. is it worth fishing for cats right now or should i give it another week

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
we are getting nice cats at the treatment plant whenever the water is up.fishing above the small culvert,throwing down toward middle.5 to 8 lbs biggest so far but there is bigger.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Thanks for the info guys!

Anyone ever tried the Tusc between Massillon and upstream to Clinton? I've ridden my bike along the trails here quite a bit, and rarely see anyone fishing except in a couple of spots. One guy I talked to said that he caught a 45" musky a few years back between Canal Fulton & Clinton. Since the guy had a landing net with him bigger than my boat's musky net, there's a good chance there is some truth there!

I see many canoes in this section, and have considered taking my old 14' fishing boat down there, but have never tried it. If I knew there were some nice flatheads & down there, I'd like to target them.

- Dave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts