close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Tusc River Smallie tourney!

Discussion in 'Southeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by rockbass, Jul 20, 2004.

1. rockbass

rockbass Banned

I am working on a catfish tourney that I will post in a few, but I am also wondering how many people would be interested in a smallmouth fishing tourney on the Tusc. No points or pre-register crap, just show up, sign up and fish for some smallies.. Oh yeah and win a few dollars in the process! ;) If the Cat tourney goes pretty good, I am planning on trying to have more cat tourney's but also some smallie tourney's. Any feedback and question's are more than welcome.

Action, I know if you see this, you will chime in!

Fishing Marshall, Maybe you would also be interested!

2. I would interested even though it would be a totally unfamilar body of water. I take it that it would be open to anyone. Is this correct? When it comes to fishing, I'm always ready to go.

3. rockbass

rockbass Banned

Yes it would be opened to anyone. Like I said, No pre-register, or anything like that. Even though it is unfamiliar, it is real good in this area for smallies. On Friday night, I was at the river for 10 minutes. In that time, I missed 2 fish, caught a rockbass about 9 inches long, then had a hog on that got off figuring it to have been a catfish. Then caught an 18 inch smallie. Not bad for 10 minutes of time! All on same lure. Small spinner with shad body on it.

Ok I got off topic for a sec.! :p

There are a lot of good smallie spots near where we would have sign-up. Depending on the turn out for the catfish tourney I am having, I will be back on here announcing a smallie tourney!

4. sauguy

sauguy river & muskie angler, dayhiker

if it is on a sat or sunday morning i might be interested. not that experienced at catching anything out of the tusc but you have to start somewhere. not really interested in the cat tourney, not a catfisherman.

5. rockbass

rockbass Banned

I will have it on a sat most likely as I havbe to work on Sunday's! Like I said though, I will see how the cat tourney goes then I will set up a smallie tourney. If you have any suggestions on times and what not, I am up for it.

Thinking of having a smallie one from say 9-3 on a sat. sign-in from 830 till 9 then fish till weigh-in at 3. Before I go on and on and have one set up, I better see how the cat tourney goes!

Thanks for the interest. That is what I want to hear. It helps to know others are interested! :cool:

6. I'm not interested in the catfish because I don't get any sleep as it is.
    I am interested in the smallie thing, but would rather do a 7-1 or something earlier than 9:00. I don't do real good on the river for smallies when the sun is shining unless I'm in a boat. The best fishing on the Tusc. seems to be about 9 - 11 if it isn't hot or in the evening, but on Saturday they've been beaten to death by evening. It will probably be hot if your having it in August.
    Just putting in my 2 cents about starting earlier. I'll fish your tourney regardless if I'm in town, but I think a few more fish would be caught with an earlier start. If you don't have it in early August or late July, my wife and I can attend and I'll try to gather a couple locals. Brian's probably interested, maybe he can bring some of his gang to up the numbers. Make sure you don't have it the same weekend they got a tourney and most of them might show up. Good Luck and keep us updated.

7. rockbass

rockbass Banned

AAAAwwww come on Action, I thought you were good! time of day does not matter for you pro's! :p I will consider the times though. What I posted before was just hypothetical. Like I said, it will depend on how things go. I may have one in the morning one time then have another one closer to evening. like say 5-9?? or something like that. I am really getting excited about having something for the smallies though as there seems to be quite a bit of interest in it. As far as Brian goes, he will not fish my tourney. I attacked him as he says. I questioned some points of his tourney's so I could understand some things. He said he won't fish them now. Oh well! I would like it if even 5 people showed up.....hey then we could have a winner take all! :eek:

I will probably start working on a smallie tourney soon. I just have to check other tourney dates and so on. Also fitting them into my schedule! I will post of course!

8. tcba1987

tcba1987 Tuscarawas River Angler

instead of butting heads on this tournament thing , we could pull together and have one big tournament on the tusc. whenever you have yours, i can get some of the guys and come down. ive got the scale and alittle expierience with this crap and about 10 guys i think will fish it. let me know what you think? what are your rules going to be like?? i really cant start before 9 am , if we start then thats when it will be alittle tougher but its supposed to be challenging right?? jim and i have never had a problem as far as i know it was a few of the guys who helped run the tourneys in the past. i fish because i like to compete , so ill be there if im welcome.

brian

9. rockbass

rockbass Banned

Hey, no Head Butts here, they hurt! ;) Any tourney I have will be open to anyone so anyone is welcome. No points or pre-register stuff. I won't know how many people will be there till it happens. I have a scale. The only problems with it is that it is electric, so I need to run an extension cord to the weigh-in site. Maybe 100-150 feet. No problem though! It is a scale we used for weighing packages for our UPS shipping customers. So I believe it was certified at one time! Not that it matters.

Oh yeah! It will weigh up to 150 lbs so bring some big smallies!

Also Like I said, the times and all that will be worked out. May have one in the morning one time and one in the evening another time! We'll see!

10. You might want to use mine or Brians scale (Same) because the electric is hard to come by on the river. They're accurate and easy to use.

11. smalliehunter

smalliehunter "The Mighty Wing Man"

I am assuming you need to have a boat.......i grew up fishing this river, but only waded it........never boated it........ i fish the local rivers now in Cincy and only wade.... the reason i am saying this.......is the wiegh in........smallies dont do well on stringers dragged behind a wader......as times you gotta get out to get by a deep hole, and most of the time you are mid thigh to ankle deep........... if you get any deeper then that in the Tusc you are asking for trouble............ i think a smallie tourney is a great idea, just dont think wading is an option for the safe release of the smallies after wiegh in...........

12. I keep my fish in a makeshift livewell in my car . Before I can get to my livewell I put them on the stringer and they do fine. Just have to make sure you string them through the lip and tie them off to a tree or root by some slow moving water. I usually scout out the spot for a stringer when I start fishing. I never loose any bass but the saugeye get pretty iffy if you keep them on there to long.

13. rockbass

rockbass Banned

No need to have a boat. Bankfishing works just fine! or wading! Like action said, just string them to the bank in some slow water. they do fine. I have even been wading and put them on a stringer tied to my waist. I only put them on a stringer to get a pic after I was done! They did just fine. When I let them go, they did not act like they were about dead or anything. They just shot off like I just caught them.

14. tcba1987

tcba1987 Tuscarawas River Angler

when is you tournament gonna be held, so i can let the guys know ???
    i like how people always assume that us bankfishermen always kill our fish and dont release them alive . dont you ??