close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Tusc River heating up again!

Discussion in 'Southeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by rockbass, Mar 15, 2005.

1. rockbass

rockbass Banned

I here some saugeye and a smallie were caught yesterday. smallie was 2 lbs and the saugeye were not big, just decent.

I may try tonight(tues.) to see if I can get anything on the evening bite! I will let you guys know how I do if I get to go!

2. I'm gonna try the river here pretty soon. With my luck lately i'd be happy to catch anything. Hopefully they are biting.

3. rockbass

rockbass Banned

I second that!
    :rolleyes:

Personally can't get a fish, but fish with others who have been catching.

4. bttmline

bttmline E.B.C.C. Founder

where you fishing rocky

5. rockbass

rockbass Banned

The river here below Gnaden

6. Me and my brother fished the tusc for 2 hours today. Skunked again. :rolleyes:
    Tried everything , rogues , minnows , twistertails , sassy shads , jig and minnow. Fished the dover treatment plant and in phila. I don't know what i'm doing wrong. I hear about other people catching them. :confused:

7. tcba1987

tcba1987 Tuscarawas River Angler

fished the stillwater tonight for 3 hours , i tried all kinds of new spots and didnt have a hit !!! 2 guys had their boat anchored in the middle of the points at twin city hospital, i saw them catch 2 fish about 15 inches on white grubs, i tried it there for a while and no luck !! i dont know what im doing wrong either marshal and rock bass. maybe some of these guys are pulling our legs ??? but i did SEE 2 caught tonight ???

8. rockbass

rockbass Banned

Well, I know the stuff I am hearing is not leg pulling. I just have not been able to catch any.

Went to the river from about 6 till 7 and had one hit on a tube. I saw a bunch of fish after the shad or minnies, but I could not get them to hit. I could not tell if they were smallies or saugeye. My bet is saugeye. I want to go again Thursday afternoon/evening, but want to try to get to Cripple Creek to get some live bait. I could even try throwing my net if I see any shad busting. If the fish are as active after the real stuff, I am going to try to drift some minnies through the area. I want to fish this weekend some too, so I may try to hit up a lake for some shad, then fish some spillways and/or the river.

If anyone else is going to fish, saturday or maybe even friday afternoon, let me know if you want some company!

9. The fish I've seen chasing shad lately in the river have been pike.
    Nobody is pulling your leg Bryan, your just on a cold streak. :p
    I can't catch any good size fish and have only had one big one on in over 50 hrs of fishing. Every spot that the fishing has been decent is over a mile walk.

I can find more to whine about just give me time.

10. rockbass

rockbass Banned

I guess what I saw could have been pike. I just caught a few glimpses of a longer slender fish. I am sure it was a saugeye or may even have been pike. they were in there pretty thick. Just could not get one of them to hit. Tried tubes, gurbs, and shad rap, X-rap. I will break my cold streak soon I hope

11. tcba1987

tcba1987 Tuscarawas River Angler

my cold streak is gonna end soon, im gonna quit chasing the damn saugeye and go after the bronze fish. has anyone been getting any smallies up that way jim ?? you guys been seeing any gar ?? ive saw them really get after schools of bait before , and it seems like when they are around everything else leaves !!! i'll be back at it today again , i aint giving up just getting frustrated with my luck !!!

12. I haven't seen any smallies but the bigger pike are starting to hit below Bolivar dam. If you plan on going there its a long walk. I saw hundreds of gar a few years ago when they redid the High St bridge and had the water pooled up, I haven't seen one since. Seems like Newcomerstown would be the place to catch fish now. I'm going to try to float this weekend, that will tell me allot more about where they are. If I don't get to float maybe we try for some smallies.( A little early )

13. rockbass

rockbass Banned

My uncle did catch that 2 lb smallie, but I do not know what he caught it on. I just know the river. and it was most likely below Gnaden. Most likely between here and Newcomerstown. I will try to get ahold of him to find out more details.

I know it was not directed toward me, but I have not seen any gar in the river since last year. I would like to catch one of those buggers though!
    I have also noticed that they seem to chase the other fish away.

14. when your at jims get some red floating jigheads. tip them with the biggest minnow jim has,i got 3 pike within minutes last year using this method.hooked in tail section. all pike were 30 to 34 inches, big splitshot 8 to 10 inches above jig,right in the calm swirl of river at sewage plant side

15. I had an awesome day today (3-16). I caught five crappie and one was 161/2 inches. I'm going again tomorrow PM me and anyone who wants can go along.

Chris

Attached Files:

16. rockbass

rockbass Banned

Just an FYI for Brian or anyone else who wants to know about the river and possible smallies. Talked to my uncle and he said he was using a tube carolina rigged. He caught the 2 lber and had another fish hit. He said he saw the belly of the fish but could not really tell what it was. As for location, I won't say exactly where he was fishing. I can say that rocks were the ticket. one of the places I fish all through the summer for smallies.