close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Turtle

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by birdhunt, Aug 19, 2004.

1. Anyone Have A Good Recipe For Turtle??

2. steelmagoo

steelmagoo Enjigneer

A few recipes have been posted on different threads. Search the site for Turtle. Also, the following link has a bunch of wild game recipes.
    http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/martin/newsletters/newsarticles/wildrecipes/list.html
    I deep fried some last week. I parboiled the leg quarters and neck to make it easy to debone, then coated the meat in corn meal and threw it into the Frydaddy. Excellent.

I have also made soup a couple different ways in a crock pot, basically a beef stock vegetable soup with turtle meat.

Roe V. Wade and I are probably going to try out my home made trap this weekend. I made it out of some scrap 1" x 4" x .125" dia. wire mesh. I stitched the panels together with some malleable wire and made a trap door at one end. I still have to cut a 6" escape hole and add some flotation.

3. steelmagoo

steelmagoo Enjigneer

4. These two are both very good...you can always make adjustments to suit your liking....BEWARE of any recipe that calls for turtle eggs. Trust me on this one....whoever thought of that one has never tasted a turtle egg before.
    Just imaging going to a lake and taking a BIG bite out of the bottom:eek: :eek: then multiply that by 10....that's what a turtle egg tastes like.

Commander's Palace Turtle Soup au Sherry
    · 10 ounces (2-1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
    · 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
    · 1 pound turtle meat, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
    · 1 cup minced celery (4 stalks)
    · 2 medium onions, minced (2 medium)
    · 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic, minced
    · 3 bay leaves
    · 1 teaspoon oregano
    · 1/2 teaspoon thyme
    · 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    · 1-1/2 cups tomato purée
    · 1 quart beef stock
    NOTE: If turtle bones are available, add them to the beef bones when making the stock for this dish
    · Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste, as needed
    · 1/2 cup lemon juice
    · 5 hard-boiled eggs, finely chopped
    · 1 tablespoon minced parsley
    · 6 teaspoons dry sherry
    Melt 8 ounces (2 sticks) butter in a heavy saucepan. Add the flour and cook, stirring frequently, over medium heat until the roux is light brown. Set aside.
    In a 5-quart saucepan, melt the remaining butter and add turtle meat. Cook over high heat until the meat is brown. Add celery, onions, garlic and seasonings, and cook until the vegetables are transparent.
    Add tomato purée, lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the stock and simmer for 30 minutes. Add the roux and cook over low heat, stirring, until the soup is smooth and thickened. Correct seasoning with salt and pepper to taste. Add lemon juice, eggs and parsley.
    Remove from heat and serve. At the table, add 1 teaspoon sherry to each soup plate. I just ain't turtle soup without the sherry.

Arnaud's Turtle Soup au Sherry
    · 1/4 cup salt
    · 3/4 cup fresh or frozen turtle meat
    · 3/4 cup ground veal shank meat
    · 6 cups veal stock
    · 2 cloves garlic, chopped
    · 2 bay leaves
    · 1 pinch whole dried thyme
    · 3 tablespoons tomato pureé
    · 1/2 cup celery, chopped
    · 1 cup green onions, chopped
    · 1/2 cup white onions, chopped
    · 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
    · 2 lemons, halved
    · 3 tablespoons sherry
    · 2 eggs, hard-boiled and chopped
    · 2 tablespoons roux
    · Salt and white pepper to taste
    Combine eight quarts of water and half the salt in each of two large pots and bring to a boil over high heat. Place the turtle meat in one, the veal in the other, and simmer both for 45 minutes. Remove both pots from heat, drain the meat, and chop both meats coarsely in a food processor. Keep warm until needed.
    Place the veal stock, garlic, bay leaves, and thyme in a large pot and bring to a boil over high heat. Add the tomato pureé, vegetables, parsley and lemons, and bring back to a boil. Reduce the heat, and simmer for 10 minutes.
    Add the two kinds of meat and the sherry. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the eggs, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Thicken by adding small amounts of the roux.
    Add a final splash of sherry to each individual bowl when serving, if desired.

5. steelmagoo

steelmagoo Enjigneer

RowV and I set the trap out Sunday night. Attached a couple of those Fun Noodle pool toys to the sides for floatation and baited it with a couple cut-up gills. We put it near a fallen tree along the bank of a private lake and tied it off to a tree root. Propped the door open with a twig. Checked it last night and found a real grumpy 21 pound snapper inside. Worked like a charm. I love it when a plan comes together.

6. JohnBoat

JohnBoat OU Bassmaster

Caught one last night thats 29" from tip to tail...He's in my backyard in a washtub right now

7. JohnBoat, I'm guessing the "tip" is the front of the shell????? I'd hate to even try to measure one from the tip of his nose :eek: :eek:

My biggest has been 28 lbs....so far

Quick tip...after you filter them for a few days or a week, ice 'em down for a few hours...they don't move around so much

8. JohnBoat

JohnBoat OU Bassmaster

Yes, measured from the tip of the shell to the end of the tail as best I could

9. 2talltim

2talltim Bubby wanna be

speaking of turtle are soft shell leather backs endangered?i caught one while cat fishing a AEP that what my freind said i dont know if its true

10. cooters is good eats too :) NO...not endangered

11. 2talltim

2talltim Bubby wanna be

i didnt think so i figured mt freind was talkind out his @$$

12. Hey JohnBoat, how much that turtle weigh??

13. This is new to me ... what is 'filtering'??

14. Maybe it is the same thing as to purge em.

15. I always put my Snapping Turtles into what I like to call quarantine. I usually put them in large vented plastic tub, and fill it with water to where it barely covers their shell. I like to leave them in quarantine for a good 5 to 7 days. Changing the water twice daily and hosing them down, in an effort to wash away the mud, and leaches as well as allowing the Snapping Turtles time to clear their systems out.

16. What TIGHTLINER said

17. JohnBoat

JohnBoat OU Bassmaster

Never weighed it birdhunt...I'm guessing between 25-30 lbs