Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Left the dock at 6:30 not knowing what we would find after the winds of the day before and the cold front conditions.

Started in 10 FOW. The water clarity was as good or better than the previous days and continued to clear throughout the day. On Friday I had a little over a foot of visibility. When we left the lake at 1PM yesterday visibility was at least 2 ft maybe more.

The fish started the same as every morning, extremely fast and furious for the first hr plus and then became a little harder to come by compared to the previous days. We kept real close count yesterday and 3 guys put 110 walleye (+ or - 2or 3 fish) in the boat. We fished longer yesterday than any other day since Friday. I made a deal with Big Joshy around 12:30, we would stay one more hour or until he caught his 50th for the day, he was at 42 or 43 at the time. He did get his 50, the last few coming very close to the mouth of Turtle Creek.

The interesting part was the quality yesterday was by far the best overall. We ending up with a kept limit of 12 fish with nothing under 22" with a few at 24". Almost all of these fish came after 10AM and in 12 -13 fow. Most of the real shallow extremely active fish were of the smaller variety.

The best jigs were purple chartruce 5/8, with a slow to moderate hopping retrieve. The much faster, aggressive big hop retrieve that was so effective the previous 4 days was not working yesterday. I don't know if that can be attributed to the cold front and east wind or just a change in preference.

The fish are still spewing plenty of "Go Juice" and many times there are still other fish following your hooked fish. The biggest fish we saw yesterday was one following Josh's hooked fish and it wouldn't leave, It just stayed there a foot under the surface right beside the boat.

I talked to Travis Hartman (ODNR) at the ramp yesterday. They were tagging walleye on the reefs yesterday morning. They tagged 419 walleye and he said 95% of them were males.

Have fun,

Kim

·
Registered
162 Posts
Great report, Thanks. Now if you could keep those fish there until Sunday or Monday it would be great. My Friend had surgery last Friday and he thinks getting over there and catching a few walleye would help the healing process.;) Hope to see you guys next week.

Mike

·
Duck Enemy #1
220 Posts
What were the wave heights you were in?

Man, this is killing me. I was supposed to be off all week turkey hunting, but decided to fish instead. Then I got boxed in at work. (Apparently the COO's schedule is more important than mine) Tommorow is the first day I can get out and the waves are gonna be 3-5 feet - and its gonna rain, which isnt great for turkeys.

·
Premium Member
10,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The area off of Turtle is very close to shore and protected from any strong south winds.

They are calling for strong East winds through Thursday night and then turning South. Friday looks to be OK but those strong East wind prior to then do not look good for you being able to fish Turtle.

IF their forecast is right, 3-5's from the East will not be fun.

·
getting wEYESer every day
1,288 Posts
Lundy, after talking about our weekend, I have a couple people wanting me to take them over. How long do you think this will last off Turtle/reefs? May be a couple weeks yet before I can make it.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Beautiful sunrise, nice fish too. The anticapation is killing me! Just curious, did you do any trolling at all or just jig? With catch rates like this, I can see doing the jig bite, we have all year to troll. My dad, uncle and brother in law have never experienced the jig bite. My brother in law just got back a few weeks ago from Iraq and had a son born a week ago today, pretty happy that he is going to get to go this year.

Thanks for sharing the reports!

·
Premium Member
10,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Eyesman01,

There should jig bite still going on in two weeks. I'm not sure it will be as good as now, but they will still be fish available to catch in the same area as this past weekend.

If the jig bite has shut down somewhat it just means you will be able to catch them some other ways. Trolling jets and spoons or harnesses will work and the casting weight forward bite will be going if the jig bite has slowed. The jig bite just signals the beginning of the great spring, summer and fall walleye bite to follow. After spawning they get hungry.

Beatsworkin,

No trolling this weekend, 5 days of casting jigs. There are much bigger fish to be had trolling than jigging, but not the numbers right now. This was a have fun numbers trip.

·
getting wEYESer every day
1,288 Posts
Thanks Lundy. I was gonna leave my trolling rods home and just take the guys jigging, but if that's the possibility, I'll bring the works just in case.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts