close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Turtle ?'s

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by gmrkatman, Sep 14, 2004.

1. I fished the Gmr 2x this weekend and got skunked on the flatties. Caught 4 turtles. I hooked 1 in the neck and 2 through the front foot. 1 broke off at the bank. My question is how to get the dang things unhooked. I was able to get the one in the neck out, he didn't fight much, but the 2 through the feet were thrashing and snapping at me so much I could not get the hooks out. I tried putting them on their backs, used thick leather gloves, etc. How do I handle the bigger ones to take back my hooks?

2. Let them have them. A piece of my hand is worth more than a hook. ;) I suppose a very long set of needle nose pliers might come in handy if you really wanted that hook back.

3. fishingredhawk

fishingredhawk Ohio Hawg Hunter

Throw'em in a pot and boil it out of them

4. I agree with M.Magis on the hand versus the hook. Trust me you will not full protect yourself with the thick leather gloves. You may end up with broken fingers or at least very sore.

If you are able to get a grip on them with long pliers then laying them on their back and giving that a try may work. They will have a hard time reaching toward you when on their back.

If they are fairly good size then take Fishingredhawk's advice and have yourself a pot of turtle stew. It really is good stuff.

5. Thanks for the advice guys. I hate to leave my gama's with the turtles, but I value my skin just a little more.

6. I've managed to catch 27 turtles this year while cat fishing. The only advise I would give is to do what you are comfortable with. My son accidently cut his finger fishing with me this year and it cost $138 at the emergency room for 2 stitches....so I keep THAT in mind.

That being said.....

All the turtles this year were soft-shelled or red-eared sliders except for one monster snapper. I don't mess with the snappers...they get to keep the hook.

On the softshells, if they're less that 12" accross and hooked in the mouth I stretch their neck out and grab it, then remove the hook. Same for the sliders...Once you have their neck, they're wusses....It's just getting the guts up to grap 'em... If you can't stretch their neck, forget it. On the bigger ones and on foot and neck hookups, I put 'em on the ground and step on them with my boots. I have real long pliers from my salt fishing and Canada expeditions that I use to grab the hook. At 3 bucks a package, I hate to leave the hooks in too.

I've been catching turtles and snakes since I was a kid. Softshells under a 12" can pinch the hell out of you. Bigger than that, they can remove skin and break bones. Snappers and sliders have hard bills. They can cut even when 4-6" in diameter. I can say that from personal experience. I have a scar on my right foot from a snapper when I was kid... All my dad said was what the other guys here said, leave it alone or cook it....then we went to the emergency room...

7. Hey David,

I can't stand the smell of those nasty softshell things little alone grab one just to retrieve a hook..YUKKK!!

You need to be in more current and stay out of the pools until we get more rain..I saw dozens just looking at me waiting for my bait in the pools..I am not into feeding turtles so i keep to the current at least very close to it..

Insane------------out

8. Lazzyfishingman

Lazzyfishingman How you work is who u r!!

how i do it.... turn them on the top of the shells and and get a stick to hold them down...they tend not to bite or move around much on thier shell. then use the needle nose pliars and get it.. try turning the hook as well taking the hook out. I have caught too many this yr in the gmr. However, I say just make soup out of them...

9. katfish

katfish Cats are where it's at!

I have had several people ask why so many softshell turtles end up being hooked in the foot.

My theory is that they learn to put a front foot on the line while they get your bait off the hook. If the catman notices the bite the hook slides till it hits the turtles foot and then digs in.

Anyone have any other ideas why so many are hooked in the foot?

10. I've had a few as pets for a summer and watched them eat, both softshells and red-earred sliders.... They stand on their food and tear chunks off with their mouths. That's why you get those little tug-tug then nothing bites and also hook a lot of them in the foot...they're standing on the bait...