Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Am Inerested In Getting In On The Action ,i'm Asuming That This Is Central Basin Reefs And That It Is Probably Posted Many Times Over, But Could Someone Please Give Me Some Info On The Date And Where You Are Launching From. I Have My Own Boat , Live In Columbus And Trying To Learn Some New Techniques. My Experiance For Walleye There, Consists Of Drifting Crawler Harnesses, And Catching A Few On Jigging Spoons Targeting Smallies. But Catching Them By Jigging Hairjigs Sounds Like A Blast.

·
Administrator
9,450 Posts
Check out the sticky at the top of the forum.

Turtle Creek is west of Port Clinton in the Western Basin.

·
Capt.
444 Posts
Nitro, the reefs that everyone talks about are in the western basin. There located between Crane creek and Catawba. Most of the guys will be heading out in this area drifting hair jigs,leadheads and twisters, and vibes. Some will also be trolling stick baits and harnesses around the reefs for the bigger females. If you do head up this way try and get a map of the area. There is 1 reef in this area you have to be careful around, Crib reef. Its right at the surface of the water. Hope this helps. Al

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, I Got The Dates And # For The Campsite, Is Anyone Welcome Even If They Are Not Staying At The Campsite? Is The Site West Of Portage River? Can I Launch From There If Not Staying At The Campsite,? 5$ Per Launch. Would Anyone Mind Me Following Them Out So I Can Get A Crash Coarse In Spring Reef Walleys? Can U Bait My Hook 4 Me Too, Lol, Just Kidding. Thanks For Any Help. I Am Experianced On Erie, Just Trying To Speed Up The Learning Curve. It's Harder For Those Of Us That Don't Live Close And Get To Fish It Often

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Well you want to get you jig as verticle as possible. But I have hit them but slowing reeling it on the bottom as well.

·
The Original Hot Rod
6,732 Posts
Ok, I Got The Dates And # For The Campsite, Is Anyone Welcome Even If They Are Not Staying At The Campsite? Is The Site West Of Portage River? Can I Launch From There If Not Staying At The Campsite,? 5$ Per Launch. Would Anyone Mind Me Following Them Out So I Can Get A Crash Coarse In Spring Reef Walleys? Can U Bait My Hook 4 Me Too, Lol, Just Kidding. Thanks For Any Help. I Am Experianced On Erie, Just Trying To Speed Up The Learning Curve. It's Harder For Those Of Us That Don't Live Close And Get To Fish It Often
The campground is about 8-9 miles west of the Portage river. And yes, it's open to anyone...some are staying in Pt. Clinton and you don't have to stay at the campgrounds. They'll be plenty of boats out there so don't worry about following anyone. Also, if you have an extra seat in your boat perhaps an experienced jig fisherman could tag along with you and show you the ropes.

·
Original OGF Staff member and owner
13,425 Posts
Nitro, you can follow me as I will be following others as well! :p My first time out on the reefs, so it will be a learning expearence for me as well. Jigging I have done just not at the reefs. As long as I can get out and back I'll be a happy fisherman for sure.

·
getting wEYESer every day
1,288 Posts
I'm sure there will be many of us virgins that weekend, with and without boats. By all means, join in on the fun. This isn't just a fishing run, but a chance for many of us to meet for the first time and get to put faces with our site names, and build on the friendships we have started on here. It looks to be a very enjoyable weekend, now if we can convince mother nature to enjoy it with us. 10days 12hours to launch. :D

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Guys, Just Let Me Know Where And When To Meet Up, I'm There. Dale, I Was One Of Guys To Introduce Myself About A Month Ago During A Slow Day On The Ice At Buckeye, Off Of The Island By Fairfield Beach

·
13,425 Posts
I remember the name now. We'll try it again up there:D

·
1,288 Posts
I remember a place mentioned in an earlier Turtle Creek post about a fish cleaning station close by where they'd store your fish for you for a few days for so much a pound. Could someone tell me the name and location of this place?

·
1,288 Posts
Found it! Shortdrift had posted that Turtle Creek will keep them in a freezer.

·
13,425 Posts
Do you mean the camp grounds or the launch? That would be nice for sure.

·
13,425 Posts
Thanks tubuzz.
Is there Electric there so we could use an electric fillet knife? Make it soooo much easier:D

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Guys,I have posted this SEVERAL times The campground is a GREAT place to ramp,a GREAT place clean your catch and a GREAT place to camp at.GREAT bunch of people all around.....

·
13,425 Posts
Believe me I would have camped there if it was going to be warmer!:D
But for this trip I'll be camping at the Best Western in Port Clinton.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts