Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
getting wEYESer every day
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my cherry is broken and I'm in love. :eek:

We had to work for it, but a couple virgin trollers got our limit. Pigsticker an I got on the lake @ 8:30am. Broke out the homemade big boards and mast for the first time. Have a few minor changes (tweaks) to take care of, but they preformed very well. The subject has been covered here before, but now that I have been able to try both the big and inline boards, my personal preference would have to be the big boards.

We started out by A can, eventually working our way around to the west/southwest side of West Sister before picking up our first fish. Then we thought we were going to have an early limit. Boated 8 in the first pass, lost a couple, and very few junk fish. Then they just shut down @ 11:30. Picked up one more, and several junk on the next pass, and then nothing for the next 4 hours or so. Finally moved to the east side of West Sister, north of B can and finished our limit in @ a half hour or so.

We were using 20 Jets on the outside lines with spoons @ 60 back. Color didn't matter. Inside started out with a Bare Naked and Wonderbread 800 series RR 50 feet back. Best speed was 1.8-2.2. Through the whole day we lost 3 spoons, a 800 Bare Naked RR, and one in Wonderbread. Was field testing some new line and will be giving it some negative feedback. It's a toss up which the eyes preferred. Caught a lot on that Bare Naked, especially at the end. Wonderbread did well also earlier before we lost it. The junk fish preferred the spoons.

All in all, it was a beautiful day on the lake. Stayed away from the packs and am happy with the way things worked out... til we got back to the ramp that is. Broke a brake line and drove almost 3 hours home with minimal brakes. Gotta get that fixed today when I get off work. But the trolling experience was a positive. I need a lot more experience, but I won't be hesitant to do it again.

Pigsticker, thanks for another memorable outing. Had a great time and, took a while, but we got our limit. We'll have to do it again soon.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Well I am glad to see another man is hooked on big boards. I not sure
myself what the mystic about it is
but it gets it hold on ya quick. I started about 3 yrs. ago and I wont change my mind about it, and I am glad you were not disappointed., and ya caught some fish. Welcome to the club

·
Administrator
9,455 Posts
I went out east with Fishers of Men on Saturday getting a lesson on big boards. I gotta say both methods (inline vs big board) have their own positive and negative points.

·
The Original Hot Rod
6,732 Posts
I heard a call for OGF members on Sunday and did check in...! But just after that things got really busy with the fish and I never did get back with you...sorry. :eek: Sounds like you guys did really well. There were so many boats in that area it's a wonder the fish even stood a chance. I fished away from the pack and did well Sat./Sun. The gnats just about drove us nuts yesterday..funny thing is, they were nowhere is sight Sat. but in abundance on Sunday. Also, talked to BuckeyeRon on my way back to the dock.
I even heard Hetfielinn on the radio and found out he was actually fishing in the Lorain area (50+ miles away). ;)

·
State record bass or bust
1,810 Posts
Yeah, it took us awhile but we grinded out our tickets. That makes me 5 for 5 this year on limiting out on Erie, with a little help from my friends.

Had a great time on a beautiful day. Glad to hear you made it home on no brakes ok. Lets do it again!

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
eyesman_101,
We were NW of West Sister, so we weren't too far from one another. Glad to hear you were successful in your first adventure with a new plan. We were able to get two tickets, we fished 20 and 30 jets 50 and 65 ft back on inline planer boards which we set at 150 and 120 out from the boat. Our best stinger color was cat/dog, kavorakan, bloody nose and a silver monkey puke. My monkey puke has been hit so many times now that it is starting to look like a silver spoon:D
We charted our first four fish and then just kept going back and forth. Had a chinese firedrill one time with three fish on at same time, man that was a blast.
As Hook & Book mentioned we talked on the radio a little but at one time he was between A & B can.
Caught a huge Sheephead, fish O, weighed over 10+ lbs. Netted him because i didn't want to lose the spoon.
Another great day on the water:T
Haven't caught a huge fish yet, but still trying. Here's a picture of our catch.
Thanks
Ron

Attachments

·
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. There weren't as many boats in the area we were in, but saw them around us. I tried to stay out of everybody's way with my first time trying the big boards. After the first turn too short I learned my lesson and didn't do it again. But all in all I found them to be easier to use. I just need to get more releases.

I thought I heard you answer on the radio Ron, heard Hook and Het a couple times. Heard of a few lost fish, hits being slow, and not being able to keep the board lines tight. Then I had to shut it off. Got a low voltage warning on my electronics battery and kept only the GPS going. The battery is several years old. Must not have taken a charge last time. Time to replace it.

I met someone at Happy Hooker with an OGF sticker on their boat, and can't for the life of me remember their name. Thought it was you Ron, but can't swear to it. Though looking at the picture now I believe it was. Sorry we couldn't have talked more if it was. One of those tunnel vision moments. I was there to get more gear and hit the water. I didn't want to be late meeting Pigsticker again.

I think our biggest fish was 22 inches. First and last fish were the smallest at 17. Started in 22-24 FOW and ended in 30 to the east of West Sister. I'm happy with that under the circumstances. I'm 4 for 5 on limiting out this year. Every time except that Monday of the outing. Still only one shy that day.

Yeh, made it home. A little unnerving, especially towing the boat, but gave myself plenty of room. Went to work this morning too. Temporary fix this afternoon will last til this weekend when I can replace the whole line to the rear.

Thanks again guys. I'm continually watching everyone's posts to get tips and see what and where is working. I'm happy to finally be able to post a report of my own. Hope to do it again soon, maybe try my luck farther east around the islands next time.

Best of luck and tight lines.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
eyesman,
Was it you who shook my partners hand at Happy Hooker? If it was you then you spoke to me on your way in to the bait shop.
Ron

·
The Original Hot Rod
6,732 Posts
Sorry we couldn't have talked more if it was. One of those tunnel vision moments. I was there to get more gear and hit the water
Yeah, I know what you mean...I'm starting to think he's my personal pimp...! :D I spend way too much money in that place...but it seems he always have what I need...! ;)

·
1,810 Posts
Hey Brian I just wanted to say I was very impressed with your hand made boards and mast. It all worked very well. That boat is a fishing machine now dude!

·
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeh Ron, that was me. I mentioned the OGF sticker on the boat and said my name was eyesman_01, but he looked a little confounded about someone just coming up and shaking his hand out of the blue. And didn't act like he recognized my name, so I didn't push it. Just good ol' OGF hospitality. Should have known the driver was the OGF'r.

Pigsticker, I'll have them tweaked by the time we go out next. But that's what field testing is all about.

Hook, I know what you mean. I needed more spoons for my collection, and I knew he'd know what was working, and he'd have 'em in stock. I'll be in there again next trip too. Between now and then I figure I'll be picking up more gear from my online sources too. Need to replace the ones I lost and then some.

Figure it'll be a month before I get back over there. Daughter-in-law due any day now, another daughter's wedding coming up, and then there's work and the hunny do and... and... .

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Yeh Ron, that was me. I mentioned the OGF sticker on the boat and said my name was eyesman_01, but he looked a little confounded about someone just coming up and shaking his hand out of the blue. And didn't act like he recognized my name, so I didn't push it. Just good ol' OGF hospitality. Should have known the driver was the OGF'r.

eyesman_01,
Yes my friend is real new to OGF only the second time he has been around our group to talk with one another. It was his first time to troll for walleyes, he caught on real quick. He used to do a lot of bass tournaments, so he does know how to fish.
I will let him know who you were and he will probably get a big smile on his face, he loves to fish man.
Thanks,
Ron

Good luck in your next adventure.:)

·
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Welcome him for me. What was his name? He'll get use to it, I'm sure. I take it he hasn't met Het yet. LOL Glad to have him on board. Hope he enjoys it as much as the bass.

I have lots of friends and family in the bass tournaments and some who manufacture bass baits. I go bass fishing occasionally when I'm with them, but walleye are my passion, even on our local lakes. I'm getting spoiled on Erie. I never catch them that often around here, no matter what presentation I try. The bass fishermen catch more of them during the tournaments than I do. Go figure.

·
1,810 Posts
Hey Troy, we spoke of you while we were fishing. Who couldve known you were only a few miles away partying on Kellys.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts