Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Left the dock at 6 AM with my son and his wife.

Approx 35 eyes, back to the dock at 9AM

Light NE wind, 1 ft chop, surface temp 55.8, stained 18" visibility. Wind died off around 8AM, drift slowed, smaller jigs then started working better. Many, many of the fish today were obviously whacking it on the fall. The lighter jig when the drift died gave a slower fall.

Started straight out in 15 FOW, took 30+ in this area. Moved into 12.5 ft and took a few upgrade fish.

5/8 oz purple/chartreuse was the best today before 8AM when the bulk of the fish were caught. Caught fish on a few of different colors, green, glow white and green, all purple.

It appears we may be nearing the end. Only a couple were spewing today and they were all the smaller males 15-17". We also caught a couple of sheep head, a white bass and a white perch. We caught none of those last week.

We caught a bunch of 15-17" fish today that we threw back. I also noticed that I was marking a bunch of the fish 5-6 ft off of the bottom today. In all of the previous trips everything was always on or very near bottom, big change today.

Probably 50- 60 boats out this morning. Saw some nets, but once again nothing like last week. You actually have to work at it now:D You can sort through to very nice limits of 21-24" fish but you have to be more patient and repeatedly work through the pods of better fish when you hit them.

One last trip in the morning.

·
Cowboy Charters
1,660 Posts
Thanks for the information Lundy. Great Report like always from you. I am going out tonight. What area were you fishing? What ramp?

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
If you were seeing marks five or six ft. up sounds to me like ot is time to start pulling spinners.

·
Premium Member
10,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you were seeing marks five or six ft. up sounds to me like ot is time to start pulling spinners.
I did see a lot more boats trolling through the loose groups of drifters this morning, I never saw them with a fish, but they didn't really look like they knew what they were doing either.

Yesterday when ezbite was with me I cast a weight forward for 15-20 minutes and had nothing, put the jig back on and started catching fish again..

ezbite, I wouldn't hesitate to make a trip over next week. If the jig bite is over, all is not lost. I 'm sure you'll be able to still catch plenty of walleye just a little further out with just about any traditional presentation you want, weight forwards, spinners, spoons, cranks. For me, I enjoy the weight forward bite that immediately follows this early season jig bite. It's a great time of year for those of us that still enjoy casting for eyes.

·
getting wEYESer every day
1,288 Posts
Glad to hear next week won't be too late. I can't make it before then either. I've never used a weight forward. Have plenty of them I've made. Guess it'll be a good time to learn. And do a little trolling too. With the jig bite as good as it was, that's something I didn't get to do at the Outing like I wanted. Thanks for the report Lundy. Hope to meet up with you again some time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts