close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Turned away at Cabelas today

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 2talltim, Aug 21, 2004.

1. 2talltim

2talltim Bubby wanna be

:mad: i drove to wheeling today to check out the grand opening of cabelas...after a 2 1/2 hour drive when we got there the local authoities would not let you on the exit ramp...there was a cruiser turning people away in both directions with a sign that said ramp closed....went down to the next exit to find another way around....they had that blocked too...i dont understand ...there were alot of pissed off people around me including myself.....i had no chioce but to head home what a waist of a day....i sent a nasty email to cabelas im waiting for an answer...was antone else turned away i was there about 1:00.....ill keep ypu updated when i get a answer :mad:

2. I was at the new Cabelas in Wheeling yesterday. I left after 1 hour with out spending a penny. It was so crowded that I was being pushed around like a little kid , and I weigh 250 lb. After all the hubbub it probably will be a neat store. I've been to the Dundee store and it has a better aquarium. Sorry you got turned away but you didn't miss anything. The prices I could see were not any better than the catalog. I advised a friend the other day to drive the extra hour to Dundee Michigan. It is the same store without the hubbub.

3. 2talltim

2talltim Bubby wanna be

yea dundee is only an extra 30 min for me about 3 hrs.....i just wanted to check out something new

4. 2talltim

2talltim Bubby wanna be

here is their initial response.....will update when i hear more...

Dear Timothy,

Thank you for visiting Cabela's website. We appreciate your comments and I have
    forwarded them to the appropriate department. We appreciate your interest in
    Cabela's. Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Have a great day!

Sincerely,

Sara

Email tracking number: 399655

5. Sounds like you got the old brush off. Pay the little extra and shop locally, the jobs you help save maybe your own someday.

6. I'm having a hard time understanding how it's Cabela's fault. :confused:

7. catking

catking Banned

Don't want to fan a fire here, and I know how mad this makes people who have to drive so far ,but I have to agree with M. Magis on this. I live close to the Bass Pro Shop in Cincinnati. I remember their " Grand Opening " and stayed away from it like a freakin case of small pox :D . I went the following week, after the initial onslaught of a million people, and enjoyed the store and what it had to offer. People have to know that things like this will happen on any outdoors store grand opening. Still, I know I would have been pissed also ;) Sorta like when they close 71 north a few times because of a Buckeye's game..................... CATKING

8. Its not Cabelas fault, but I'm sticking with shop locally. :p

9. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

It may have been cabela's fault or maybe their only option.

The exit ramp that was closed was put in new at the new Cabelas ONLY for the cabela's store.

I'm guessing that the parking lots were completely full and there was just no way to handle any more cars.

Just a guess.

10. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

just what lundy said.

11. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

speaking about the BPS in cinci, i would never go back close to that place again in a LOOOONG while..since the new Mills mall is open..its freakin crazy there..ski and kim lives right off of that exit, and i'm about to dish going to see them too.. :D

12. Shop on the internet, then spend the 5-6 hoursof traveling and getting annoyed to go fishing and get frustrated :)

13. Procraftboats21

Procraftboats21 Original OGF Member

I got to Cabelas today at 1:30 and got home at 5:20, and I still dont think I really got to see everything. Traffic wasn't to bad still a ton of people inside. Probably wont go back for a month or so till the madness settles.

14. I live right across the river in Ohio from where the Cabelas is located. I haven't been up there yet but have read in the newspapers that the lots were filled to capacity and then some with people parking along the curbs. They even parked people in the distribution center parking and had shuttle buses taking people up to the store. I'm not one for big crowds so i'm waiting for all this grand opening to die down. I'll be moving up to Columbus this week so i might stop in before I move. Depending on what the crowds look like. My dad said someone he works with went up in the afternoon during a weekday and he said the place wasn't that crowded. As for shopping locally, I've been wearing a Cabelas hat for a few years now and was approached by a city councilman in Wheeling where I used to work. He asked if I was excited for the opening. I then ruffled his feathers by asking what he thought cabelas would do to the local bait, tackle and hunting stores. He replied by saying he didn't know of any exisiting. I rattled off about a half dozen so places and he quickly changed the subject. Don't get me wrong I'll go to the Cabelas and think it will do some good for the dwindling economy here in the valley i just wanted to hear his views on the effects it would have on the valley stores I've been shopping at for years.

15. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

2tall - I know you were upset, but that place was expected to be nuts for the grand opening a long time ago. Its a shot in the arm for the entire area that is badly needed. My wife's family is from the area not even 3 miles from the store. 500 jobs or so overrides the worry of losing a few stores here and there. It will be the largest tourist attraction in the state of WV and surrounding area without a question. They are already talking about expanding the distribution facility to meet current demand. That means more jobs too.

It's the WALMART debate all over again. Cabelas will be successful. Some of the local bait and tackle and outdoors stores may or may not fade into the night. Who knows.

16. worminator

worminator I'll be bach

we got there about 11:00 and had to park about a mile away and take a school bus to the store. I went down for one of the safes they had on sale. Had to show the reciept just to get into the store parking lot so I could pick it up. The kid at the exit ramp said they were expecting 80,000 on Saturday. I saved a buck but paid for it with the crowd. Didn't see too many good deals. Just the gun safe.

17. 2talltim

2talltim Bubby wanna be

Got a phone call yesterday from a Brook Garison, i believe he is the the head guy a the wheeling store he explained to me that the Sate Poice shut down the incomeing roads for about an hour to regroup, and i must have gotten there in that time, he said they had a comand post set up in their parking lot. He was very sorry but it was out of their hands, they (the state police)had all the say so there nothing he could do.. He said if and when i ever come back down ask for him he would set me up with dinner in the cafe. I wasnt really exspecting that, im suprised i got the personal attention with the phone call, seems like a really down to earth strait forward guy

18. catking

catking Banned

Good for you 2talltim. I've found that Cabelas has some of the best employees around. Their mail order department is GREAT !!! Hopefully a second chance is in store for them from you ;) ....... THE CATKING !!!