Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
very avid fisherman
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far I have been hitting this lake hard, hoping to tap into some of the bass that are in there. All I have to show for it is a small channel cat that attacked a jig while I was flipping docks. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
433 Posts
So far I have been hitting this lake hard, hoping to tap into some of the bass that are in there. All I have to show for it is a small channel cat that attacked a jig while I was flipping docks. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Where in Turkeyfoot are you fishing? Try extending into Rex Lake and Mud Lake. Docks are good, but there's good shoreline structure in those lakes, too. Work the island at the mouth of Rex where it meets Turkeyfoot. I like to whacky rig 5 inch pro-senkos and cast the visible structure and the weed beds. There's also a number of humps and bars that hold fish (There's a good one close to the mouth of the bay on the south end of Rex that almost always holds fish.). I like to use diving cranks there, as well as jigs. You'll also find fish on the drops and the deep weed beds in the center section of Turkeyfoot, just out from the state park. Fish it early because the boat traffic gets really heavy as the day goes on. This may sound odd, but fish the speed lanes early in the morning and target the buoys that mark the boundaries. My brother and I have found huge schools of bait fish that relate to the buoys and their chains. Early in the morning, bass will come up there to feed. Cranks, plastics, jigs, spinner baits, and even jigs rigged crappie-style under a float will catch them. Again, this is an early morning event and it becomes unfishable once the lanes open for speeding/skiiing. Latham Bay where it winds back into the park can also be a good area to target. Lots of submerged wood along the shoreline. Also the islands there will hold fish, as will the drop off back there. Spinner baits, topwater, and plastics shallow, cranks deeper.

·
very avid fisherman
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where in Turkeyfoot are you fishing? Try extending into Rex Lake and Mud Lake. Docks are good, but there's good shoreline structure in those lakes, too. Work the island at the mouth of Rex where it meets Turkeyfoot. I like to whacky rig 5 inch pro-senkos and cast the visible structure and the weed beds. There's also a number of humps and bars that hold fish (There's a good one close to the mouth of the bay on the south end of Rex that almost always holds fish.). I like to use diving cranks there, as well as jigs. You'll also find fish on the drops and the deep weed beds in the center section of Turkeyfoot, just out from the state park. Fish it early because the boat traffic gets really heavy as the day goes on. This may sound odd, but fish the speed lanes early in the morning and target the buoys that mark the boundaries. My brother and I have found huge schools of bait fish that relate to the buoys and their chains. Early in the morning, bass will come up there to feed. Cranks, plastics, jigs, spinner baits, and even jigs rigged crappie-style under a float will catch them. Again, this is an early morning event and it becomes unfishable once the lanes open for speeding/skiiing. Latham Bay where it winds back into the park can also be a good area to target. Lots of submerged wood along the shoreline. Also the islands there will hold fish, as will the drop off back there. Spinner baits, topwater, and plastics shallow, cranks deeper.
Wow. I don't think I have ever gotten that much info from this site. I was just thinking of throwing shad-like lures into the wakes of boats in the iron channel.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts