close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Turkeyfoot idiot

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by redman, Jul 2, 2004.

1. I took my 4 yr old down to turkeyfoot to do a little blue gill fishing yesterday and while he was standing on one of the docks an older fellow comes putting along and docks his boat right where my boy is fishing. now there are 5 other sides that this idiot could have put his boat while he got his truck.
    I asked him what he thought he was doing and he just ignored me.
    I told the fella that I could see that his moma really taught him some manners. It just really peed me off that he pulled right on the boys line and bobber without so much as a i'm sorry or anything.
    This little incedent just ruined my day and the boys day. All we wanted was a half an hour for the boy to toss his pole around to get some practice casting.
    he did catch 1 small bluegill. :mad:

2. I am not advocating bad behavior, but sometimes the devil gets the upperhand in me. I would have untied his boat and given it a shove while he was getting the truck. Then stood there fishing till he returned and smiled at him when i saw the consternation on his face. But thats just me talking crazy.
    Huntinbull

3. Boaters normally have the right of way at boat docks but that guy was just being a jerk if other spots were available.

4. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

thats alright man..i got the same treatment last night at 1AM..and i thought i was out of the way..there was not another boat in sight..i need to get an air horn and start tootin when someone comes close..and when that dont work, i'll be chumming at their boat.....................with rocks.. :D

5. Every lake you go to you will find a few ignorant ****** who don't seem to have a brain in their head. I've dealt with quite a few.

6. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

They are everywhere!

7. jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj

8. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

You guys are right about Dock fisherman. When we have one of our tournaments we always tell people that we will be coming in at a certain time and they should stay off the docks. I don't have a problem with kids fishing off the docks as long as their parents make sure they move them when we come in. WE have to pay for a permit each time we have a tournament which give us the right to use the docks. What bugs me is when you come in and you have people laying on the docks sunning themselves, fishing off the docks or young couples swaping spit like they are alone in the world. The docks are for boaters, not a public rest area. WE can launch or put 25+ boats on trailors in 10-15 minutes max. give us that time and you can have the docks back. But when these non-english speaking bank fisherman think the state made the docks for them, look out! Those Big motors can really play havack on you fishing tackle. AS for kids fishing, I'm all for that,and that jerk could have used one of the other docks to tie up. Some people just are real jerks.

9. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Same everywhere. Always a conflict beween boaters & bankers.......each has their points. Docks at the ramps are for boats. If one fishes off them, give the boat room. I've had guys at CC act like I'm the one violating them when I've come in at night.
    Then you have the stress of worrying if they are going to damage your boat while getting the truck. :confused:

Maybe the state could add some anglers' docks....yeah, right !!

10. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

The docks are called courtesy docks so the boaters will not tie up the ramps. The boaters do have the right of way at them. I personally would not have docked at yor ramp if others were open, but many times I have had no choice because the docks get full of fisherman or other docks are damaged and I refuse to use them. There is a great spot just for kids 15 and under at the district 3 office. 6 ponds fully stocked with just about everthing you can think of. It is free and they even supply worms. I've seen many 1 pound bluegills and some huge carp and cats come out of there. They are only open on weekends. You can get info at:

Wildlife District Three
    Headquarters
    912 Portage Lakes Drive
    Akron, Ohio 44319
    (330) 644-2293

11. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

Boats do have the right of way on docks (unless it's a designated fishing platform) and you need to consider that there are a few variables like ncraft mentioned that are involved in choosing which dock to use. If I'm alone, I'll always try to dock to the driver's side, and I always take into account the wind direction (if it's blowing good) in choosing specific docks. But, there's no reason that if conditions were in his favor, that he couldn't have chosen another dock. That's not a requirement though, just common courtesy ;)

12. if you have ever been to the docks at turkeyfoot you know there is three launch ramps and i think 4 docks that you can tie up to, so that makes 8 sides to tie up at. and there is some kind of floating platform tied off on the last one. the boy was fishing on the very last one( the farthest away from the launch ramps) so there was actually 6 other open dock sites to tie up to.
    We were in nobodys way. And when we do fish at any dock we do move to let boaters tie off their boat or whatnot.
    Most of the time I am out on my own boat and know how other people act when I am launching or tieing off to the docks so I do use some manners.
    I am just venting because of all the open spaces and my 4yr old fishing well enough away from the launch ramp without anyone else there and for someone to want to put their boat right there is just totally inconsiderate?

13. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

Sounds like the guy was just being a jerk, let alone inconsiderate. With 6 open lanes, he should've chose elsewhere.

14. I agree. He was just being an idiot. I fish by myself quite often and sometimes go to Turkeyfoot. If I recall, the last dock is not the best dock to tie off anyway so he had to be trying to be an a$$. Sorry your son had to experience that type of person at such a young age. :mad: