close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

turkey vegetable soup with noodles

Discussion in 'OGF Kitchen' started by Yanky, Nov 29, 2008.

1. Yanky

Yanky shakesbeard

not sure what to do with the leftover turkey carcass? still carving meat off of it as we speak?

hopefully its not too late and you still have a turkey carcass to work off of. i did and let me tell you, this is the best soup i have ever made. for the record, i modified the leftover turkey soup recipe from alton brown on the food network site.

step 1
    in a large pot(big enough for your turkey carcass), pour in 2 quarts of veggie broth. add your carcass, bones, fat and all. add in a half of an onion (i used spanish white onions), quartered. add a tbsp of thyme, two bay leaves, a tsp of peppercorns and a tbsp of old bay seasoning. bring it all to a boil and then reduce the heat and let it simmer for about an hour. make sure you pick all the good meat off first or it will get lost in all the connective tissue/bone when its done. that is a hot mess that you dont want to dig through.

step 2
    while the carcass is simmering, sweat (cook on low heat till soft) 2 cups carrots, 2 cups celery, 2 cups onion and set aside. boil one large pot of potatoes (5 to 6 medium sized did it for me) but stop them and rinse in cold water when they are just under-done. the simmering later will finish them off and prevent them from becoming mush. boil your noodles. i used extra wide egg noodles because i like the size-to-chew factor of them. it helps bulk up the soup. use whatever you like or leave them out if you choose.

step 3
    when the carcass is done(after the hour simmer), strain the broth out into a large pot by using a colander to catch all the meaty stuff. i think i ended up with approx 2.5 qts but i added extra water to my initial mix. you should end up with approx 2 qts of liquid.

step 4
    combine the broth, sweated veggies, potatoes, noodles, and about 2 cups of your leftover turkey meat in a pot big enough to hold it all. simmer for about 10 minutes. at this point if you like your soups thicker (like i do), thicken it with the traditional corn starch/water mix or use potato flakes (great idea misfit). the flakes work great to compliment the potatoes already in the soup. grind in fresh black pepper to taste.

step 5
    check the seasoning and season to taste if its off a little. mine needed about another tsp of kosher salt, and a little seasoned salt. however, i like my food saltier than some.

step 6
    enjoy! seriously, that was the best two hours ever spent. this soup is phenominal. as a bonus, i have enough to give some to my neighbors, girlfriend, family, and still live off this stuff for weeks. bonus!

if anyone has suggestions let me know. i was thinking of how to improve on this recipe as i was going, but perhaps the wine i was drinking was hindering my creativity :)

Yanky

2. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

sounds great.wish i'd kept the carcass.but my son might have saved it for himself,LOL.i did bring some leftover ham and turkey home though,but that's another post;)

3. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

yanky,when i cook my chicken/noodles i like cooking the noodles in the broth,then tossing everything back in.i think it adds more flavor to the noodles:)

4. Yanky

Yanky shakesbeard

yea i thought of that after i had already added all the veggies. at that point it would have just made everything mush. next time i make something like this i will try it and see if it makes much of a difference.

5. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

just had some w/ barley and potatoes. yummy ,yummy

6. Yanky

Yanky shakesbeard

glad to see you guys like it!!

i took some to my girlfriend and she loved it. i have so much left that i think im gonna have to start spreading it around. theres no way i could eat it all