close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Tuesday at griggs, Bill got a suprise

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Marshall, May 1, 2008.

1. Marshall

Marshall Catch Photo And Release

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll let Bill tell the story.

2. Columbusslim31

Columbusslim31 Student of Finjitsu

That's a wiper right? Niiiiiiice.

3. Thanks for posting thie pic Marshall. I believe that it is a hybrid striper. I'm sure someone will disagree with that. Almost at the end of our Tuesday night tourney we had already had a pretty good night with some non-stop bass action, when i had this guy bite.At 1st i thought it was a really good bass, until it started stripping drag, then it rolled at the top and i was thinking that it was a decent channel cat until it got next to the boat. Threw it in the livewell and weighed it on the scales at the weigh-in. 8lbs 12oz. THen released it back in the lake. I did'nt even know they had those in Griggs.

4. NewbreedFishing

NewbreedFishing High Speed Angling

5. Ok, Is A Wiper The Same As A Hybrid?

6. white bass + striped bass = wiper (hybrid striped bass)

7. topwaterdevil

topwaterdevil SMB and Saugeyes.

Wow... goes to show you never know what might be swimming in there.

8. Bassnpro1

Bassnpro1 OSU outdoorsman

That is pretty awesome! River systems do have the tendency to throw out some odd species at times.

9. Anybody remember back in the mid ninties when a person caught a pirahana in griggs?? then I think either the blitz or wnci had a pirahana fishing contest........ after that nothing suprises me.

btw. that's a hog.

10. acklac7

acklac7 S.S.

Wow...Strange indeed! Nice Fish!

Sort of makes me re-think the giant "White Bass" I got below Griggs about 4 years ago, as I recall it was 19" and went almost 4lbs...Bet money it was a Wiper too...Also heard there caught below Greenlawn from time to time.

I guess the question now is how did they get in there?

11. I would have given some serious thought to releasing that dude into the nearest broiler pan.

12. great fish bill, congrats, did that count for the tourney???? hmmmmm whats the rules on that one haha.....also good question cuz i didnt really know if they were the same think either

13. well in some of the bass pro events, the ky bass and the black bass count, but the stripers do not, in the lakes that have stripers anyways..

14. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

When were wwhipers stocked in Griggs?

15. I believe that somebody had to release that into Griggs. I don't believe that they have been stocked. Maybe someone "up-river" that lives on the river put it in there with MAYBE a few more huh, from somewhere else?

The possibilities are numerous ol chap. Anyway, awesome catch amigo. Awesome catch.

16. acklac7

acklac7 S.S.

As far as I know Wipers were never stocked in the Scioto, yet somehow they are in there (although there about as common as Musky). All in all im betting (well I should say im convinced) the DNR is somehow responsible. Question is were they delibertely stocked in the Scioto or was it a mistake?...Probabaly never know :(

17. topwaterdevil

topwaterdevil SMB and Saugeyes.

If the DNR is behind it, could it have been accidentally released with largemouth or saugeye fry/fingerlings?

Or the other possibility is that it was transplanted by an angler from another body of water.

18. acklac7

acklac7 S.S.

That's my suspicion, either that or it was an intentional act (I.E. some rouge DNR intern threw a bunch of fingerlings in with a Saugeye stocking).

Thought about that scenario too...However it just doesn't fit: Where are you going to find Wipers around Central Ohio (other than Buckeye)??