tubes in the river

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by imalt, Sep 19, 2008.

1. imalt

imalt Banned

How do you fish tubes in the gmr? I was doing good with them in the creek. But I just cant seem to get them to work in the river. It seems like I either dont use enough weight and the current is taking them everywhere or using too much weight and getting snagged in rocks and everything else. Is the gmr that much better up north by troy it just doesnt seem like many people in middletown south post to much about catching anything down this way. I had one good night for smallies on the gmr but since then have been skunked. any help would be appreciated

2. I'm not an expert on this but from my experience, and paying attention to the posts on this site, smallie fishing does seem to be better in this area(Troy) and some big Catfish in your area. The LMR isn't too far from you if my memory serves and I hear about smallies there. I've never had luck with tubes either though some people obviously do. I never hear anything about good ol' rubber worms so I think I'm gonna try some. Always killed BIG LM in San Diego on those.

3. imalt

imalt Banned

I hate catfishing. I think I have to pick an area of river and really work it i move around too much i think.

4. fshnteachr

fshnteachr Lovin' the Outdoors

RedTailMatt showed me how he uses the tubes and it has worked. Stand below riffles and cast up river, let the current take it and just bounce around the rocks as it comes back down. I have used different weights and it really didn't matter much to me, just don't use anything too heavy. I just have experimented with it and have gotten better. YOU WILL LOSE TUBES if doing it right. But usually the water is shallow and you can walk to the snag and retrieve. (by the way, in my case, all of this has been done on the LMR)

5. i fish that area all the time and never did very well on tubes myself but i do have luck with yum crawbugs. I think its all about confindence with what your fishing. Also try small inline spinners if nothing else they will produce some small fish(catfish, white bass, smallies) Oh and I use 1/8 ounce tungsten bullet weights or lead if I dont know the area but this is about the only weight I use.

6. I have the impression that the fish get bigger and there is more variety of fish, the further downstream you go. There may not be as many active posters down near you right now. Up here near Troy, there is no such thing as a white bass, striper, wiper, or gar. I know some folks consider the gars a nuisance, but I would love to hook one of those toothy critters. I think the shallow water is helping us in Troy right now because there aren't too many places for the fish to hide. There is much more water to cover downstream.

I have alot of tubes that never get used. They just take too much patience for me. Years ago, 3/8 jigs with twisters were about all I used but they don't seem to work anymore (maybe it's just me). Again, they take patience and I'm really liking crankbaits and spinners. Lately, I've been playing with a chatterbait, too. It just SEEMS like it will catch big fish :)

7. Ajax

Ajax Rapala Snagger

Hey, at least you all have pike. I really would like to catch one of those sometime.

I haven't fished the GMR that often, but I can tell you that the bass fishing is terrible below Hamilton. I can't wait to wet my line up north on the GMR I just haven't found the time.

8. imalt

imalt Banned

well if anyone from down this area wants to go up that way some weekend shoot me a pm. I have a kayak so if anyone is up for a float that would be cool also. I have some yum crawbugs I will give those a try. I just feel like what is a good spot in a creek isnt a good spot in the river. I am determined to figure it out though. I would like to get a chance at a pike.

9. there are some good smallie spots in Midd, but when i say GOOD i mean that you might actually catch one or two lol. the further north you go the better, especially once you pass the low dam in West Carrolton. i do a lot of Catfishing and know that Flathead catfish absolutely LOVE smallmouth bass, my guess as to why the fishing suffers the further you go south. after west Carrolton the Flatheads in numbers and size go up sharply. also the water gets a lot dirtier and hotter. the spots i have done good down your way have always been at the head of riffles where there is lots of Oxygen.