Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen tubes at some point that can be used as 'transom savers'. They fit down on the two (large) pins that stick out under the motor, when the motor is trimmed all the way up. then when the motor is lowered, they support the motor.

anybody know what these are called? I have tried to google them with all kinds of different names, I've looked for them at Cabelas, bass pro, etc. and all I find are the bar-style transom savers.

·
Set The Hook!
2,175 Posts
I've seen tubes at some point that can be used as 'transom savers'. They fit down on the two (large) pins that stick out under the motor, when the motor is trimmed all the way up. then when the motor is lowered, they support the motor.

anybody know what these are called? I have tried to google them with all kinds of different names, I've looked for them at Cabelas, bass pro, etc. and all I find are the bar-style transom savers.
Yep, its called buy a piece if PVC pipe that will fit over the trim pistons, cut 2 pieces to length, paint black if you want and presto.
Thats how I made mine 8 years ago

·
Tom B.
3,889 Posts
The wedge is a good idea but it doesn't take any pressure off of the transom. All it does is take the pressure off the tilt ram. The idea of the transom saver is to protect the transom from the weight of the motor bouncing around while you drive
http://www.lake-link.com/boards/forums/viewposts.cfm?Thread_ID=60704

Took this quote from a discussion on another site. Can't see why you wouldn't want to take stress off the transom and trim piston.

·
Set The Hook!
2,175 Posts
If your transom is that weak you have other problems, you also would have vibrations stress being tarnsfered from the trailer to the "saver" to the motor.
I havent ever saw my 200 Merc bounce and I have gone done some rough roads.
With the tubes he is asking about there isnt any stress put on the pistons

·
Set The Hook!
2,175 Posts
Yep, everone has a opinion and mine is just the way I do it. Used them on the same boat since 1996 and had no problems. I dont really think there is a right or wrong way to do it.
Doubt driving down the road with or without a saver has anymore stress than taking off getting on plane

·
"One More Time"
2,748 Posts
My boat is an '89 and has had twin motors on it its whole life (175s for 16 years, and now twin 150 Mercs). I use 2X6s cut to fit for the motors to rest on. No stress cracks in the transom yet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts