Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been tying for a couple years now and would like to get started tying tube flys. I've been looking at different vises and such but just wanted to see what the experts reccomend is the one that clamps into your existing vise sufficient? and if so any tips on the best place to get one? and what size tubes are generally used the most for steelhead? thanks!

·
A Fisherman
593 Posts
This tube fly concept has me really intrigued. What are the disadvantages? I see a lot of advantages versus the traditional fly. One immediate advantage (without having tried it out yet) is not having to constantly tie on a new fly every time you want to change a fly. What I mean is what if you made a tube fly without the hook attached. You would have a tippet with a hook tied onto one end and then you would have a small loop for a loop to loop connection at the other end. You would simply unfasten the loop to loop connection and "tie" on a new tube fly by sliding the new fly onto the tippet and then reconnect the loop to loop. The fly would have freedom to move along the tippet but would most likely stay at the end by the hook due to force of the cast and the current. This would impart probably more action to the fly and I would image more hook ups too.

I am really liking the thought. Anyone with more experience please give 2 cents.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts