close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

"tube" fishing for smallies?

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by hardwaterfan, Jun 3, 2005.

1. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

I would like to try the tube fishing for smallies in the area creeks and rivers but dont have any clue about how to go about it.

Could someone fill me in on the basic set up and technique?

A pic of a basic rig would be great.

I dont understand if you are using the tube as dressing on a jig and bottom bouncing it, or if it is reeled in slowly like a crankbait. or do you fish it under a bobber and reel slowly. do you add any weight to the line?

are you putting the tube on the hook or jig? like is it a weighted jig. am i supposed to reel it in and bounce it off the bottom or should it be allowed to go downstream and bounce off the bottom. or should it never touch the bottom.

what kind of bait is this rig supposed to immitate.

i heard a good color is white. is this the same as using "grubs".

i would like to try this sometime and expand my horizons. :)

if anyone could tell me (1) what the basic rigging and (2) typical retreival is for tubes ill take it from there.

thank you.

ps i got skunked today fishing crankbaits for smallies on the upper chagrin.

2. I usually texas rig tubes. Use a wide gap offset hook with a bullet sinker. Hook the tube through the head and slide it to the top of the hook , then put the hook throught the body so its barely sticking out. A texas rigged tube is good for fishing cover and doesn't get snagged too easy. You can also use a tube on a jighead. For colors i like green pumpkin and watermelon seed. I use the small zoom tubes the most. I fish the tube around cover shaking it around logs and then draggin in on the bottom with some hops on the way in. I've caught rockbass , largemouth , pike , bowfin , and smallmouths on a tube. Dragging it on the bottom it is supposed look like a crayfish.

3. I don't have a pic of the rig I use but I'll try to fill you in on how I use them for smallies.

I use them on jig heads most of the time; texas rigged (exposed hook) with a pegged bullet sinker would be my #2 option. For jig heads I prefer the ones that are designed for use with tubes; these are made so that the lead weight actually fits inside the tube. This style decreases snagging when fished around chunk rock. You can also use jig heads with rattles built in but I don't usually bother. Regular round-head jigs work well too so if you can't find the jigheads designed for tubes it's not a big deal.

The primary retrieve is a bottom bounce. Throw the tube out and let it hit bottom then use your rod to move the tube by lifting your rod tip from around 45 degrees to close to 90 degrees in a nice smooth motion (usually). The speed with which you lift the rod can vary but generally a nice slow lift is good. You can also shake the rod tip a bit as you raise it for added action; sometimes that helps sometimes it hurts (this seems to help most when working slower moving water especially if targeting largemouth bass, not so much for stream smallies). For the retrieve just think of what a crayfish that is trying to escape a preditor looks like when it shoots backward through the water. That's what you are trying to immitate. Once you get some practice with the retrieve and watch your bait in clear water, a properly fished tube will look as much like a real crayfish as anything you could imagine. Actually, if you get the chance definitely practice the retrieve in clear water so you can see what the lure looks like and make adjustments to make it look more like a crayfish in the water.

You'll have to play around with how much weight to use on the jighead (or sinker if texas rigged). You want enough weight so the lure can make contact with the bottom and isn't just washed downstream but you don't want too much weight which will cause the bait to fall way too fast.

It should look like a crayfish so the color to use will depend on the coloration of the crawdads in the water you are fishing. Crayfish in different streams/lakes and at different times of year can be very different in color and the fish may really just key on that particular color. Crayfish go from greenish to brown to redish in color. Good color choices in Ohio are green pumpkin and pumpkin seed which will match the crawdads in most water. The size of the tube should also vary depending on the average size of the crawdads where you fish but don't be afraid to use bigger tubes to target big smallies (even in tiny streams, you be suprised how big smallies can get in small water).

I use grubs to mimic small bait fish in streams rather than crawfish so the colors I use for grubs are quite different as are the retrieves.

Good fishing,

Steve

4. hardwaterfan

i appreciate all the advice and the link.

thanks again. ;)

will definitely give these tactics a shot soon.....luckily theres a gander mountain close by :D

5. hardwaterfan

i tied on a storm rattlin craw-tube today in pumpkin seed color and a 13" smallie nailed it!

i was watching the lure in shallow water trying to get a feel for the lure and he flew in and crushed it.

:)

6. If your not in a heavy wooded area, fishing a tube with a 1/8 oz. or so jig head is good.. Slide it up inside the tube and exopse the hook. I use them all the time around rock piles and deeper banks with cover for smallmouth. Youll find much success with a tube around here.

Nick

7. I caught a smallish smallmouth today and a couple rock bass this morning using a pumpkinseed tube with a jig (hook exposed). It was the only thing I could get working, after failing with some topwaters and rooster tails beforehand. I can vouch for it's effectiveness.

8. Sweet:) I'm sure that will be just the first of many.

Steve