close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Tsunami !!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by catking, Dec 27, 2004.

1. catking

catking Banned

Is that un freakin real !!! A 9.0 earthquake ( the largest in over 40 years ) triggered these huge tital waves. At last count over 20,000 people lost their lives. 9.0 is freakin UNREAL, the largest on Earth since probably Alaska's 8.9 in I think 1962................. Can you all imagine a wall of water traveling over 500mph crashing into shore wityh NO warning . Hey crappielooker, is your family ok ??? THE CATKING !!!

2. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

yes, they are fine..they are here visiting.. a few of our friends was on the island when it happened, still can't contact them by phone...
    hopefully everyone will be ok..

3. Unreal Is Right,,its Too Bad That We Even Had To See It..that It Even Happened..ohio Isnt So Bad After All........

4. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

hey ak,hope your friends are ok.
    that was terrible.it's amazing how those tsunamis are created.i think california and hawaii got hit from the quake in anchorage,in the 60's.my ex(#2)was living in anchorage when it hit.lucky(for her,not me)she survived :rolleyes: ;)
    she had some awesome pictures of the damage.

5. skipjack11

skipjack11 retread member

We are indeed fortunate to live in Ohio compared to many parts of the world. Our disasters are infrequent and comparatively minor unless you are unfortunate enough to be in the path of a tornado.(Greene County) No hurricanes,tidal waves,earth quakes,volcanos,etc. What we consider severe weather is just normal in other parts of the country. This is beginning to look like the worst natural disaster to hit in many years. With so many swept out to sea over such a large area it will de hard to come up with an accurate number of casualties. :(

6. Stampede

Stampede The Fish Feeder

That was a very bad thing to happen.Sorry for all that was in the path of that.Watching the news,i heard reference that it affected the rotation of the earth and haven't heard anymore about it.Anyone hear how it affected the rotation of the earth.
    P.S. What about OGF getting together and making a donation to the red cross?

7. crappielooker

its looks like i may lost a few old friends over there... several people just got wiped off from the beach while they are out there..
    sad sad day for me..
    Ak

8. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

i'm sorry to hear that,ak.i feel for you,and all the others who were affected.
    i think a couple from columbus died in that mess also.

9. Fastlane

Fastlane Fishless as usual

Ak, our prayers are with you buddy. I was wondering if any of your family was affected.

10. crappielooker

trying to call over there right now but can't get thru..been trying since i heard about it last night....i know for sure one is gone..and 2 others are unaccounted for..

11. crappielooker

by the way, i think the carp lake on that island might be gone as well...

12. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

Death toll is now above 33,000 people. Watching the news last night was heartbreaking. I can't begin to imagine the pain and suffering these folks are going through. My heart really goes out to all of them. I'm also proud of our government leading the way on the relief effort. We've already pledged up more financial support than the rest of the world COMBINED as usual.

13. skipjack11

skipjack11 retread member

I just read the death toll climbed to 44,000 including a retired couple from the Columbus area who were vacationing.

14. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

That official is an idiot. Yeah raise our taxes so the US can spend more to help foreign nations. Give me a break :rolleyes: Funny how I didn't see France or Russian mentioned anywhere in that article, and I also haven't seen them mentioned anywhere as signing up to submit aid.

15. rockbass

rockbass Banned

It is a shame for sure what happened. That is what happens in this world with nature. Can't always know what will happen ahead of time........Really wished there was more of a way to help out. Too far away to give a hand in clean up and all.

AK Sorry to hear about your friends

16. crappielooker

well.. 5 of my friends are gone.. they found 2 of them..3 are still missing.. 3 are safe, they watched our other friends being swept away..
    i just don't know what to say..

17. CountryKat

CountryKat Fish On!!!

Sorry to hear about your friends.

18. crappielooker,
    Sorry to hear the news of your friends.
    Your family will be in our prayers.

19. There is not much to add to this beyond what others have said. This story is extremely saddening. It is just hard to fathom such a disaster and loss. I am sure we all remember how huge the 9/11/01 loss was to us and from a casualty standpoint it pales in comparison. This is like 20 WTC's collapsing.

I am sure many people in the US and other unaffected areas are not mourning because they feel that something that far away is in another "world". But these thousands of people had families too and many families lost several friends and family. I am proud to say that I am an American when we contribute in the way that we do to helping these countries dig out. It burns me as well when I hear the criticism we receive from the UN and whoever when we don't do "enough" in their eyes. But the fact is the US always does more than any other country to provide aid for similar disasters. And in many cases along with this one we are doing more than all others combined.

It goes to show how small this world is really getting when something like this that happens half a world away directly affects several people locally. Crappielooker, my prayers are with you and your family and friends. Also, my condolences to any family or friends of the couple from Columbus.