True Sportsmen

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Columbusslim31, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Columbusslim31

Columbusslim31 Student of Finjitsu

I have read a lot of threads on this site that use this term a lot. Often it's used to deride someone when they do something that someone else disagrees with. Particularly catch and release. I myself love the sport of fishing but I consider myself, merely a fisherman. I love the camraderie of this past time, but often it seems there is an eliteist attitude among a lot of those who consider themselves "true sportsmen". I often practice catch and release. I have never kept a largemouth (because I've never caught one) or a smallmouth. I guess my point of this thread is to determine what constitues a "true sportsman". Is there a clearly defined code or is it all opinion-based? I'm not starting this thread to bash anyone or get something started. I am merely trying to get clarification. If anyone could point me to a code that is clearly defined, I'd greatly appreciate it. Also I believe it could help a lot of people on this forum who are looking to become "true sportsmen".

2. Columbusslim31

Also in order to keep this thread going, could we keep this civil? This is a fact-finding mission, not an insult thread. Please keep all insults, (if necessary and they hardly ever are) to private messages.

3. Columbusslim31

Thanks a lot truck. That certainly provides insight into "unwritten laws" of sportsmen. Albeit they are for hunting. And hunters should click on the link truck has provided for more insight into sportsmen-like conduct. In fishing then, I suspect there are numerous "unwritten laws" as well. I guess that puts my "clearly defined code" question to rest. However, I'm still interested in learning some of these "unwritten laws".

4. I think all of us would like to know more!I also think the best way to define it is treat others as you would like to be treated while fishing;)

5. seethe303

seethe303 Senior Executive Member

I believe it is a fairly ambiguous term.

However, as the link truck posted offered examples of legal actions while hunting that are considered not to be practiced by True Sportsmen I do believe there are some legal actions that fisherman can practice that would not be considered as such.

One example IMHO is people who keep bucketfulls of 6-10" saugeye. It isn't illegal, but I don't believe it is a good sporting practice. Just my opinion though.

One more thing, True Sportsman = Renaissance Man of the Outdoors?

6. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

lets break it down..

TRUE
    1 faithful; loyal; constant
    2 reliable; certain
    3 honest or truthful
    4 conforming to an original, pattern, rule, standard, etc.
    5 rightful; lawful; legitimate
    6 real; genuine; authentic

SPORTSMAN
    1 a man who is interested in or takes part in sports, esp. in hunting, fishing, etc.
    2 a person who can take loss or defeat without complaint, or victory without gloating, and who treats his opponents with fairness, generosity, courtesy, etc.

what do i see? i see that we are all true sportsmen and none of us are. im certain that im interested in fishing, im also pretty sure i like to do a little gloating when i fill up my cooler. we all do and i will bet you my boat im not going to treat those walleye with fairness.

my idea of a true sportsman is a person who DOES love to fish, hunt or whatever outdoor sport your into. someone who follows the game laws not because he can go to jail if he doesn't, but because he believes in them. someone who utilizes the harvest or in other words, eat what he kills. shares his passion with others and when with others, he puts their interest in front of his. a person who does the right thing, once again, not because he might get caught, but because it's the right thing to do. i could go on and on. my oppinion of a "true sportsman" is not the same as yours im sure. to tell you the truth, i dont care if im called a true sportsman or not. i just love to go fishing:p

7. Gju42486

Gju42486 Banned

tom what else can someone add to that?? well wrote. You da' man. :p

8. You took the words right out of my mouth, er fingers. Being a part of the "great outdoors" carries with it the temptation to do bad things simply because we feel nobody is watching. A true sportsman resists these temptations and educates others along the way.

By the way, a person who derides others for not practicing catch & release is called "annoying". ;)

9. shroomhunter

shroomhunter USMC 1979-1983

A true sportsman leaves his environment better than it was. Leave NOTHING behind, trash, fishing line, beverage cans, packaging, bait containers etc.

I'm amazed at the amount of trash people leave behind when they go, not only at the lake but In the woods. I was taught as a child to never leave trash behind and believe it is a good lesson to pass on.

I lump the trash leavers in the same category as the guy too lazy to lift the toilet seat....what kind of manners did your father teach you;)

Done!!

10. Fishing Etiquette
    We protect the environment of fish
    We treat all fish with respect
    We actively participate in the management of our fish
    We respect the rights of others

Responsible Anglers Respect The Environment

As Ethical Anglers:
    We do not spill or dump gasoline, oil or other pollutants on land or into the water.
    When fishing we never leave trash behind, including worn or discarded line, old hooks and bait.
    We leave our fishing site as clean or cleaner than we found it.
    We report environmental damage and pollution to the relevant authorities.
    When boating or anchoring, we take care to avoid damaging sensitive areas.
    We do our best to prevent the spread of exotic plants and animals.
    We never use as live bait fish that do not normally reside in the waters we are fishing, nor do we introduce exotic species that may survive and reproduce into fishing waters.

Responsible Anglers Respect Fish And Handle Them Carefully

As Ethical Anglers:
    We use only legal tackle, attend to our gear and value our catch.
    We keep no more fish than needed for consumption and legally allowed and we never wastefully discard fish that are retained.
    We practice conservation and use proper release methods for fish not retained.
    We use tackle and techniques that avoid the capture of, or minimize the harm to unwanted fish or fish prohibited from retention.
    We learn and comply with all angling regulations.
    We report any illegal fishing activities we observe to the proper authorities.

Responsible Anglers Respect The Rights Of Others

As Ethical Anglers:
    We treat other anglers, boaters and other people we might meet in the field with courtesy and respect.
    We obtain permission from landowners and never trespass on private lands or waters.
    We respect the space of other anglers when fishing from the shore or in a boat and give room to all anglers playing a fish.

Responsible Anglers Take Care Of Their Own Safety And The Safety Of Others When Fishing

As Ethical Anglers:
    We observe all operator and safety regulations.
    We watch our speed and our wake and keep a safe distance from shore based anglers, jetties and other boats.

Responsible Anglers Lead By Example

As Ethical Anglers:
    We educate fellow anglers, especially new participants about fishing ethics.
    We promote ethical behavior in the use of aquatic resources through education and example.
    We maintain and promote public awareness and understanding of the issues surrounding responsible fishing.
    We promote public awareness of the measures taken by anglers to conserve the resources and protect the environment

11. Practice Selective Harvest To Do Your Part
    If we want to maintain or improve fisheries resources, without adding more complicated and restrictive fishing regulations, we must practice selective harvest. Learn about each body of water you intend to fish and what level of harvest is appropriate.
    The key to maintaining and improving fisheries resources for the future is in the selective harvest of these resources on each and every fishing trip. Selective harvest requires that we make an effort to be aware of our personal impact on fisheries resources on both a daily and yearly basis.

To estimate your personal impact on fish populations, ask yourself the following questions:
    How many days do I fish in a year?
    What species, how many, and what sizes of fish do I keep in a year?
    Does my chosen fishing method mean I might have to release fish I think will die to obey existing regulations?

To get an idea of your reasons for keeping fish, ask yourself the following questions:
    Why am I keeping fish of certain species?
    Why am I keeping fish of certain sizes?
    Could the species, number and sizes of fish that I am choosing to keep be hurting the resource?
    The best way to reduce your individual impact on fisheries resources is to take a good look at your own harvest practices:

Do you always try to harvest a limit of fish?
    Is that an automatic goal of each fishing trip? Have a plan in mind for fish you keep before you go fishing or don’t keep fish during that trip.
    Ask yourself how many fish you need to keep to meet your immediate needs (supper that evening, etc.).
    If harvest regulations allow you to keep one fish over a certain length, do you always harvest that one fish if the opportunity arises?
    If you already have your possession limit of a species at home or in storage, do you continue to harvest fish to meet your immediate needs? (doing so is illegal)
    Do you ever waste fish by?
    Giving them to people who may not use them.
    Having to throw out old fish from the freezer at the beginning of the next fishing season.

Ways to reduce your impact on fish populations:
    Learn what existing regulations are trying to accomplish. Structure your harvest to help regulations be as successful as possible.
    Remember, keep in mind what your yearly impact is on fisheries resources and the reasons for possession limits.
    Be conservative with your daily harvest. You don’t have to harvest a limit. In fact, you don’t have to harvest fish on every trip to have a good time. If you are allowed one fish over a certain length per day, set your personal limit at zero fish over that length except for a once in a lifetime trophy.
    Learn more about factors influencing a fish’s chance of surviving after being released.

12. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

You're absolutely correct, especially when it comes to a specific species. But yet the same person will have no problem going out and taking a limit of a different species...that's called a hypocrite...;)

13. chaunc

chaunc Staff Member

Every year someone complains about people keeping saugers and walleyes from lakes or rivers that have no size limit, saying that they're not sportsmen. As long as they dont break any limit laws, why aren't they sportsmen. If they want to fish for bigger fish, wont they fish waters with size limits. 7" perch, 12" sauger, both good eating fish. And legal in some waters.

14. Just cuz it's winter...

Sportsmanship:

winning OR loosing with grace while observing the rules of play

nip
    www.dobass.com

15. For years i saw many people take 4 and 5 inch crappie out of Deer Creek Reservoir put them in 5 gal buckets and take them home. I don't know for sure but i hope this is one of the reasons that a 9 " crappie has to be caught before it can legally be taken home. So no i don't consider those individuals to be True Sportsman. My 2 cents
    Ron

16. Fishers of Men

Fishers of Men Senior Member

Toms a real sportsman whether he likes it or not:D