Ohio Game Fishing banner

81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
HeWhoDiesWithTheMostToysWins
4,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
I SAW A BOAT HOOK IN A PIECE OF SCRAP ALUMINUM
Layed it out from imagination on a 3" x 3" x 2.25" cut end of a big aluminum bar in the junk pile. For scale, the hole is 1.000 diameter drilled on drill press.
Bandsawed the profiles and filed the hook to shape, finished on wirewheel.
Now I need to round up a piece of aged SYP for a handle. I'm thinking about 5 feet long, maybe 6 to start, so I can use it to pick up, hook the dock, and push off if necessary. If it gets in the way on my 14-ft boat I'll just cut it off later.
Any of you with a boat hook care to say how long is comfortable to you and why?
Thanks,
Dennis

Yep, looks like a boat hook to me! (?? whats a SYP?)
I'd say, a long broom or shovel handle, might be just right,,,, what you said, 5'-6'? for a not so windy day.
Telescopic always works best for storage,,, or small enough diameter to fit into an upright pole holder.

BTW,,, I get ALL of my replacement handles on trash day,,,,, 'Free' for the stopping.

O BTW,,,, those free 'handles' make some might fine 'EYE' KNOCKERS,,,, (billy clubs)
Drill out the end of a 12"-16" piece & fill it with 2oz lead. Don't forget to add a rope loop for around your wrist, or it'll go flying.
LOL,,, the COP asked me why I had 2 of them in my truck's door compartment,,,, I simply said, To KILL FISH! ;>)

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Use to love dumpster diving on jobs we would go to, plus what came back before the scrap yard ..... I like making verses buying when I can , just need the time and now the energy

·
Registered
384 Posts
Yep, looks like a boat hook to me! (?? whats a SYP?)
I'd say, a long broom or shovel handle, might be just right,,,, what you said, 5'-6'? for a not so windy day.
Telescopic always works best for storage,,, or small enough diameter to fit into an upright pole holder.

BTW,,, I get ALL of my replacement handles on trash day,,,,, 'Free' for the stopping.

O BTW,,,, those free 'handles' make some might fine 'EYE' KNOCKERS,,,, (billy clubs)
Drill out the end of a 12"-16" piece & fill it with 2oz lead. Don't forget to add a rope loop for around your wrist, or it'll go flying.
LOL,,, the COP asked me why I had 2 of them in my truck's door compartment,,,, I simply said, To KILL FISH! ;>)
Thanks, SYP = Southern Yellow Pine

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I scrounged a folding ladder the other day. I was shagging down Christmas trees for the estate(brush piles for the lil' woodland creatures). As I was grabbing one from the trash, a guy comes walking out dragging a ladder.
I asked "You throwing that away?"
"Yeah, I'm done with it. I can't fold that darn thing up to save my life".
"Can I have it?"
"Sure, help yourself".
I grabbed it, pushed and pulled a few times, folded it right up. I said "There you go. It just takes some practice".
"Its yours. I don't want that thing".

So I got that goin' for me...
ladder1.jpg

·
On the back 9 and loving it!
9,308 Posts
Read in the paper today that there is an actual word for this kind of activity. It's called "Upcycling"!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Got my mindset from my grandfather, the identical old dutchman born in 1892 lived thru the depression, raised seven kids without a job, two world wars, and so on. When I was about 5 years old, he used to "let" me pull nails from boards he got from his curbside junk route around western Cincinnati, in addition to planting tomoatoes, pulling beans, digging potatoes, picking plums and grapes, picking feathers and pulling eggs. He gave me a small crowbar and one of those endgrippers, and I had to pull all the nails so he could use the wood for projects. He passed away about 25 years ago and when we cleaned out his garage I found the Winchester Western shotshell crate with about 50 pounds of pulled nails and the crowbar on top, along with a peach basket stave wth my name printed in chalk, where he was teaching me to write as we worked under the shed. I rarely throw anything away. Sorry the pic is upside down, it won't go in any other way no matter how I save it.

Dennis

Attachments

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Dennis, That's an awesome find and a great story. The world would be a better place if every kid had a grandpa that would teach them how to work and care enough to help them learn. I'd have to figure out a way to preserve all of that to honor him. Well, maybe not ALL of the nails LOL

·
4,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Got my mindset from my grandfather, the identical old dutchman born in 1892 lived thru the depression, raised seven kids without a job, two world wars, and so on. When I was about 5 years old, he used to "let" me pull nails from boards he got from his curbside junk route around western Cincinnati, in addition to planting tomoatoes, pulling beans, digging potatoes, picking plums and grapes, picking feathers and pulling eggs. He gave me a small crowbar and one of those endgrippers, and I had to pull all the nails so he could use the wood for projects. He passed away about 25 years ago and when we cleaned out his garage I found the Winchester Western shotshell crate with about 50 pounds of pulled nails and the crowbar on top, along with a peach basket stave wth my name printed in chalk, where he was teaching me to write as we worked under the shed. I rarely throw anything away. Sorry the pic is upside down, it won't go in any other way no matter how I save it.

Dennis

I had to do it for ya. ;>)

·
4,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
I scrounged a folding ladder the other day. I was shagging down Christmas trees for the estate(brush piles for the lil' woodland creatures). As I was grabbing one from the trash, a guy comes walking out dragging a ladder.
I asked "You throwing that away?"
"Yeah, I'm done with it. I can't fold that darn thing up to save my life".
"Can I have it?"
"Sure, help yourself".
I grabbed it, pushed and pulled a few times, folded it right up. I said "There you go. It just takes some practice".
"Its yours. I don't want that thing".

So I got that goin' for me...
View attachment 461940

I'd be drooling with a find like that! Like, SLAM ON THE BREAKS & SKID!
Even if those hinges can't be cleaned & lubed,,,, those 4' ladder pieces would make a whole bunch of boat trailer boarding ladders,,, hec, I can even see them used for a free standing shelf unit,,,, or use those ratchet hinges for some home made folding boat, canoe or yak seats! OR, I see Another spur on the G-kids jungle jym.
lol,,, I better quit, I'm starting to shake with anticipation.

AMAZING,,, the waste in this country.

·
On the back 9 and loving it!
9,308 Posts
Yeah, they're always looking for "frozen assets"!

·
4,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Do you guys know that you can take the winding PLATES out of an old motor & use them for all kinds of stuff?
I Used the thin copper wire for tying, & the thin PLATES for hammered spoons, vibes, & even inline flashers & buzz blades?
I was going to use these SS shims for sonar blanks till my mold disappeared,,,, now, I just use them for wind chime flashers.

81 - 93 of 93 Posts