Ohio Game Fishing banner

61 - 80 of 93 Posts

·
HeWhoDiesWithTheMostToysWins
4,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
lol Chad,,,,
Fixing, & being able to re-use someone else's JUNK, feels way better than BUYING, RIGHT? ;>)

Just wondering,,,, did you use a propane bottle to silver solder?????
(there's a set of tanks & torch around there too, right.?)

BTW,,, If any of you guys have a massive, old (mill) VISE/ ANVIL laying around, & would like to sell, or trade it,,,,,.?
Lately, I've been doing a lot of beating & bending, fab work,,, I sure could use one.

·
Bag'em and Tag'em
900 Posts
lol,,,,,, Here's another winter boredom brainchild; (my neighbors LOVE this one!)

How many of you guys have an Portable, EMERGENCY DUMP STATION sitting out, in front of your barn!?
(Like, for just in case. :eek:)

Note the glass magazine/ 'utility' table sitting along side,,,,, it adds that 'TOUCH OF CLASS'? ;>)

Actually,,,, I built this portable 'dump station', thinking about my 3 G-Kids,,,,, how they constantly seem to run the 200yds to the house every few hours, rip off all of their muddy outdoor cloths, & NOT TRASH MOM'S BATHROOM! :rolleyes:
This unit will eventually end up out in their barn! (just add a 3gal bucket, trash bag & some lime!)

View attachment 336497

& Now, MAYBE, The 'ladies' won't have to hide behind a huge tree,,,,,,, at one of our summer, backyard, DRUNK'n WEEKEND BBQ's!

And my wife wonders why I keep SO MANY old used toilet seats! NO IMAGINATION! ;)
I built one of those and left it at our hunting lease. The only issue is i would recommend NOT using an old wooden toilet seat. After a couple years its kind of like pooping on a stomped ceiling. Quite peaceful though overlooking the field and doing what i do best.

·
4,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Here's some more of my 'cheap' RAINY DAY projects,,,, you just might want to copy.?

ALMOST DONE with 2 different types of pole holder trees,,, made from 'JUNK, I HAD LYING AROUND'! (lmbo,,,,, Primo, so far, totally FREE ;>)

I Just need to buy or build some kind of REMOVABLE SLIDING BASES.
Does ANYBODY have any sliding base material lying around,,, for trade or sell?

What do you guys think,,,, not too shabby, for free.
I had two 5-gallon buckets of rusty pipe fittings, back in the shed,,, so I had to give them a shot.
I'll most likely have to drill & tap out about 40, 1/4" set crew holes,,, to tighten/ lock everything down,,,, after they get mounted & adjusted properly.

Pole Holder TREES 1.JPG

·
Registered
747 Posts
Google 80/20 it's made from aluminum and is quite pricey. We used it at work for building part fixtures

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
OMG,,,, You definitely have to post that 'TROLLING BAG' on Pinterest!
& or apply for a patent! lollolllllol.
That's too cool. ;>)

'Wind Chimes'.

Ya,, I made some DUDS too,,,, no matter what I tried, they always sounded OUT OF TUNE.
Then one day, I dropped a small empty propane cylinder,,,,, & the light bulb flashed! WALLLLAaaaaa! That cylinder rang like a bell.
SO,,, I just got done making some 'FREE chimes' for my family,,,, aka 'dumb' gifts for x-mas.
Just drill out the valve that's on top & screw in an eyebolt. Make sure that the eyebolt is long enough to go through a 1/4"+ thick, 4"-6" circle of plywood for the 'roof'. The 3 or 4 clacker lines (30# braid or 50# mono) attach to the outer rim of the wood roof with very small eyescrews,,,, then add 3 or 4 LINES below, with some 3/8" NUTS for clackers, positioned them right at the bottom of the cylinder. I added some 3" x 4" SS shim material pieces to the bottom, about 6" below the nuts. They worked perfectly for bright reflective wind catchers.

Here's a pic of the last one I put together,,, I still needs painted.
Oh Ya,,, put an once or two or 3 of oil inside before you screw the lid on,,,,, Different pitch. ;>)
View attachment 336389
I don't think that you'll find anything, that 'RINGS' better than an empty, long or stubby propane cylinder!

BUSTEDROD,,,,
Here's another one that i put together years ago. I started out with an old COW BELL that I found down Muskingum hunting camp. Then I added 2- pieces of HARD, high tensile aluminum 'FORKS'.
It really rigs out nice,,,, along with the deep sounding cow-bell CLUNK!

View attachment 336391
How do you know when tank is empty? I don't want start drilling or cutting and lose more than my eyebrows!

·
4,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Google 80/20 it's made from aluminum and is quite pricey. We used it at work for building part fixtures

Wow,, that's spooky Matt. (lol,,,, can 'WE' get our hands on some small, short, scrap pieces of the stuff????)

That's exactly what I was doing 2 days ago.
Turns out, I have 3, 4' pieces of the stuff standing up behind the barn door. I never knew what it was called, & never seen it in action. Most likely, I snagged it out of some garbage can!

I showed the stuff to my Son,,,,, & that was the first time I ever heard the name 80/20.
I Googled & searched AMAZON for hours,,,,,, looking for the 'T' bolts, corner brackets, & BASE PLATES,,, for mounting the stuff.
I found NOTHING, that I thought would work, properly,,,, until NOW,,,, you just gave me some ideas!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BKR00DO/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1H481IPHNMK5K&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/PZRT-Aluminu...WC57Q4618G5&psc=1&refRID=HDTRNMJJBWC57Q4618G5

If I bolted 3, 6" pieces together side by side making a base plate (4.5"x 4.5" wide), & mounted it on the top of the gunwales,,, this stuff would hold anything!?
It would be 1.5" high,,,,,, but it would be 'FREE',,,,, just the price of a bunch of 'T' bolts.
I love that. ;>)
Then I could make my TREE base plates out of ANY type of flat plate!?
,,, & use up to 6 T bolts to slide everything into the slots & lock the trees into place.

THANKS, for the suggestion Matt,,,, What I'm visualizing now, it would be very easy to put together, & supper strong.

Just think,,,, (you really opened up the can,,, lol,, ;>)

I could 'fab' up a bunch of different angled sliding brackets, & attach them to the 80/20 POSTS,
Then weld some 1.5"-2" ID pole holding pipes to them!

I could quickly put together DOZENS of NICE LOOKING, 100% ADJUSTABLE pole holder trees,,,,,, for 1/4 THE COST of HSG's! ;>)

(lol,,, remember guys,,, it's MY PATENT! ;>)

Oh wow again,,,,, MAYBE, I could easily rip these 1.5" squares in half, & make twice as much track,,,,,, 3/4" high. Perfect.
lmbo,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Hey Matt, does this stuff weld together easily?

·
4,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
LMBO,,,,,,

I just called the FACTORY!!!!

I"M GONNA BE RICH!

·
Registered
337 Posts
We use the 80/20 at work too. I ended up buying some and fabricating a mount so I could have my downriggers out over my swim platform and free up space in the aft of my boat. It is really neat stuff to work with and the adjust-ability is a true plus. I can slide things around and fine tune spacing. And, I can take the frame on and off with two pin clips and two bolts so the boat easily converts from fishing to pleasure.

View media item 82967

·
Registered
747 Posts
Sorry I lost my job in June so I can't get any. We used aluminum angle for corner brackets and the bolts are 5/16 course thread and we have used carage bolts also but needed some grinding to make work. I think they purchased everything from Mc master carr. As far as welding the 80 20 I'm not sure how it takes weld.

·
4,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Well,,, is this canoe drive unit a cool build or what.!?
(Maybe another winter project. lol,, someday)

Check this build out;

Another one;

Comments;
Look @ 213, you can see the outboard lower foot, Simple Design , Then when he pulls up on the handle to put it in reverse it is a basic simple lever to move up & down on the outboard lower unit shift rod,, Very basic stuff here.

if you look closely at 2:30 you"ll see that he has mounted the foot of an outboard to the bottom. forward and reverse gears are in the foot. Pretty slick!

That must be a belt drive running across the floor, back to the lower unit.
Put a pulley on the lower unit shaft. Maybe even Use the mowers electric clutch?
Then add a push pull hand leaver to **** the lower unit tranny shaft.

·
4,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Here's another idea,,, that works just fine.

The other day,,,, a friend stopped over while I was putting the finishing touches on a mounting board for my daughters 7pt deer head.
He went nuts when he seen how I was 'STAINING' & 'WAXING' the board,,,,,,
SO,,, I thought that you guys might like the idea too,,, It's a super simple way,,, specially in the winter.
All you really need is one coat, let the SHOE wax completely dry, then buff.
2 coats & the wood grain shows up even more.
Check it out;

I've also 'fixed' some scratched oak door moldings with this stuff.

View attachment 461124 View attachment 461125

LOL,,,, It'll get mounted on the back of the hunting shed. ;>)

·
4,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
For some reason,,,, the pictures didn't show?
???? Let me know if the pics don't open & I'll try posting them again.

What happened to the 'EDIT' button?

·
1,867 Posts
For some reason,,,, the pictures didn't show?
???? Let me know if the pics don't open & I'll try posting them again.

What happened to the 'EDIT' button?

Top right corner of your post is the edit.... three vertical ...'s

·
4,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #76 (Edited)
Let's try those pics again,,,, a different way.

Remember,,, more coats, make a higher gloss.
L
End up just like 5 coats of expensive hi-gloss polly,,,, but pert-near free.
(lol,, garage sale shoe polish,,, the wife would skreetch,, " Why the hell did you buy that,, You wear tennis shoes!")
;>)

Deer Head Backboard 2020.jpg

7pt Mount 2020 1.jpg

LOL,,,, I have a very fine SS wire holding the jaw bone on,,,, but it still opens & closes perfectly.
We have a small hunting shed, out back, by the fire ring. That's where I'm going to mount this head.
I'll attach a clear fishing line to the jaw bone so to be able to OPEN & CLOSE it,,, I'll make the mouth 'TALK'.
The 3-4 years olds will go nuts!
Not to mention my skunk-drunk buddies! I'll have to wait till they go back around back, to eliminate,,,, then I'll pull the string hard & crack that jaw closed! lmbo,,,,,

·
4,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
BTW,,, I looked back for the Hunting Shed pictures that I must have posted somewhere else? You might be interested in seeing it here? It was one of my last winters builds.
Hunting Shed DONE 2.jpg

Since 'LITTLE GIRL' has taken it for her play house,,,,,, I have to build another, for me.
Hunting Shed, PLAYHOUSE.jpg

I just obtained another junk axle & frame, & #2 shed might be started soon,,,,,, hopefully, it'll be done this winter.

RIGHT NOW, I'm putting the final touches on a DRAG BOX BLADE/ cultivator type thingy.
So far, It's made out of everything, that someone else threw out.
A push blade off of a lawn tractor mower.
A scrap towing hitch frame,,,
6, 1" od high tensile, highway joint reinforcing bars,,,, & a whole bunch of welding.
I still need to add the PINS for a 3pt hitch attachment.
That draw bar can unbolt & pull out,,,, then I can mount it like a class 1- 3pt, behind a small tractor.
I HOPE IT WORKS? & it's heavy enough to dig in? What do you think?

So far,, everything was free,,,, except those 12 U-BOLTS! @ $2.25 EACH! ;>)

·
Registered
384 Posts
JUNK LOOKING FOR TRUTH

Here's a little time filler project I just finished. Did you ever wonder what you did with the tapemeasure on the boat? Does it not hold still under the fish?

I had a bit of 1/8 aluminum sheet and some stainless rivets left over from a bee project. Ordered a $3.39 stainless hinge from amazon (shipping was $3.49, broke my heart). Measures fish to 44" and folds up to 23 inches long. Fits under the boat seat, might store under the cooler lid.

Thanks,

Dennis

Attachments

·
Registered
384 Posts
I SAW A BOAT HOOK IN A PIECE OF SCRAP ALUMINUM

Layed it out from imagination on a 3" x 3" x 2.25" cut end of a big aluminum bar in the junk pile. For scale, the hole is 1.000 diameter drilled on drill press.

Bandsawed the profiles and filed the hook to shape, finished on wirewheel.

Now I need to round up a piece of aged SYP for a handle. I'm thinking about 5 feet long, maybe 6 to start, so I can use it to pick up, hook the dock, and push off if necessary. If it gets in the way on my 14-ft boat I'll just cut it off later.

Any of you with a boat hook care to say how long is comfortable to you and why?

Thanks,

Dennis

Attachments

·
4,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
JUNK LOOKING FOR TRUTH
Here's a little time filler project I just finished. Did you ever wonder what you did with the tapemeasure on the boat? Does it not hold still under the fish?
I had a bit of 1/8 aluminum sheet and some stainless rivets left over from a bee project. Ordered a $3.39 stainless hinge from amazon (shipping was $3.49, broke my heart). Measures fish to 44" and folds up to 23 inches long. Fits under the boat seat, might store under the cooler lid.

Yep,,, that's a good idea,,,, I just might make two up for my boat, & mount it above the engine cover, or back inside the gunwale,,, or even on the top of the cooler might work,,,, as long as the cooler is inside of the boat!
Thanks

61 - 80 of 93 Posts