Ohio Game Fishing banner

41 - 60 of 93 Posts

·
HeWhoDiesWithTheMostToysWins
4,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
it would be funny if next year wally world had my trolling trousers in the fishing dept lolol

Bustedrod,,,,
Now that you have us on a 'FISHING' topic,,,,,,I might as well show you some fun 'BUILDS' that are very THRIFTY to put together.
Story;<)
After an easy day of close-to-shore walleye limits, I started to talk to an old timer at the Bula launch parking lot,,, we ended up BSn under a shade tree down by the pavilion.
I showed him my FAVORITE twin blade worm harnesses that I made from some EBAY, BULK, spinner lure components, & then HE showed me the homemade SPOONS that he caught his limit on! I totally cracked up when he opened his huge tackle box & showed me what he was CATCHING his limits on! (you 'purists', that THINK you need $12 lures to fish with,,, PAY ATTENTION! ;>)
THEY WERE 100% HAND MADE, GARAGE SALE, SS SPOONS & FORKS! Each 'spoon' produced 2 lures,,, after he cut the handles off! The only components that he bought was the trebles & clasp.
Here's a picture of MY COPIES,,,,, I can't wait to try 'em out this spring! If I catch a hog on one of these 'things',,, I will take a picture of it with the lure, & BRAG,BRAG,& BRAG some more!
BUSTEDROD,,,, I might need to get a patent on these 'FORK' handles!?? Like Quick, lmbo,,, ;>)

upload_2020-1-15_11-8-59.jpeg

upload_2020-1-15_11-15-19.jpeg

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
those are kool , if there really old they may be silver. yeh ya gotta do the fork ahahah and those will totally work. i bet you get some nice eyes on those

·
Wannabe Worm Drowner
369 Posts
Before I go to the shooting range, I roll up my targets and put them inside a cardboard tube from a paper towel roll to keep them nice and neat. It fits so well in my range bag.

·
4,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I just got done building & painting 4 of these LIVE box traps yesterday. The 'Have-a-Hearts' were getting too expensive, & their 'DROP DOOR' linkage was too touchy to set & complicated for my liking.
So,,,, beings that I just happen to have a slew of concrete mesh/ reinforcement wire left over from my gardening, I figured I'd use it for the box trap frames!
Then, for the doors, I used some grates out of some discarded BBQ grills. (trash day again;>)
One of the BBQ Grills had a SS reflector shield in it,,,,, That worked perfectly, for the TRIP PAN.
The trip linkage rod was actually the conduit PIPE that came out of a large table lamp. I just brazed some solid, welding rod pieces, on both ends of the pipe. Then, it was easier to heat & bend.

The hardest part of this build was finding a HEAVY GAUGE 1"x 1" square mesh for the outside,,, I settled for light duty galvanized stuff from TSC, for my second trap. I just gotta hope that the ***** don't destroy it!?

**** Live Traps 1.JPG

**** Live Traps 2.JPG

·
4,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I have recycled brass for 50 + years:D
View attachment 338033

Ya,,,, I'm into that too! ;>)

If you lived closer, I'd hand you all of the brass that I picked up, & didn't use, or NEED!
one of these days I'll have to take some pictures of the brass, AA casings,,, and drawers full of wads,,,, maybe make someones day?

If you shoot, you might be interested in this RECYCLING brain storm,,,,, it's a simple thing, but I got compliments on the idea, at the range. IT'S FREE!

Find one of these HARD SIDED SUITCASES on TRASH DAY,,,, & then 'find' some large 36" x 36" foam rubber sofa cushions,,,,, SOMEBODY is always tossing out sofas & recliners!
(BTW,,,, those foam cushions also make THE BEST CAR & BOAT WASHING & WAXING SPONGES!!! Don't throw away the left over pieces! ;>)

Before;
Discarded Suitcase.JPG

& here's the after,,,, Lay the objects down on the foam & trace 'em out. Use a VERY SHARP fillet knife to saw down an 1" or 2, to the needed depth, cut along the perimeter first, then 'fillet' out the piece of foam to make the depression, & snugly fit! Make sure that you place the heaviest items closer to the 'bottom', when standing the case up. ;>)
This case has accumulated CRAP for at least 25 years!
(Hey Gary,,, check out the MSA application form in the background!)
Hard sided Gun case Free!.JPG

All of our targets, markers, stickers & various screw drivers & tools go into the top & side compartments.
Make Cut-outs for safety glasses, staplers, Red Dot batteries, boxes of shells and hundreds of .22 rounds!
Just pick up the whole case & head to the range. ;>)
Now, that the G-Kids are shooting more than BB guns,,,, I'll have to make 2-3 more.
C U TRASH DAY.

·
4,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
LOL,,,, HERE'S ANOTHER IDEA,
TOPIC,,, HUNTING TREE STANDS & BLINDS; (almost totally FREE )

It's still sitting out back, waiting for better weather to finish,,,,,to erect.

While your driving around, keep your eyes open for these 250-500 gallon LIQUID TOTES.
They are galvanized, & very strong.
DON'T BUY THEM (beg or trade,,, lol,,, Buying them just RAISES THE 'VALUE' ;>)

I traded stuff for 4 of them,,,, almost Like FREE,,, & I just missed getting my hands on 8 more,,, they WERE totally free for the taking! The factory owner CUT THEM UP FOR SCRAP,,, he got tired moving them around. :<(

Before;
250 gal liquid caddy.jpg

The AFTER PIC
& after adding a removable roof, some camo paint on outdoor carpet, & some carpet inside for sound deadening. I zip-tied it completely around the outside to stop some of the wind.
I welded up some pipe journals & bolted them on to the bottom 4 corners. Then 1-1/2" pipe will be bolted into the journals for 12' of legs.
On the back side, I bolted on 2 vertical, heavy duty angle iron pieces.
Those two pieces will go against the tree trunk & enable us to ratchet strap, & chain the whole 'basket' to a straight oak tree. The pipe legs will be underneath,,,, just in case. ;>)
My neighbor threw out a 20' piece of aluminum ladder that was BENT,,, that will work just fine.

G-Kids Tree Stand Edited.jpg

I'm 300# NAKED,,, so my G-kids should fit in it just fine! I cut down 3 sides so they could shoot the x-bow off of the top rails. There's a comfy, adjustable, 360* swivel seat inside.
IF this works OK,,, I will build a second one. I'll Weld & bolt One tote upside down on another,,,, it will be completely enclosed with carpet,,,,,, with tilt out WINDOWS & HEAT!

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
thats the ticket, im always on the look out for good stuff on the curb, to me its all raw material waiting to be made into something...lol my friends think im nuts but i keep sayin if your on the moon ya gotta use what ya have ,.....nice View attachment 336063 View attachment 336065 my trolling trousers made from a 5 gal bucket and a pair of old jeans, my ice sled made from old lawn chairs, even my kool sun brella found in trash and is now my sun shade in my boat.. View attachment 336071
You might want to get a patent on that drift sock! I'm going to make one just for fun to see the looks when I throw it out. Bet it works good.
thats the ticket, im always on the look out for good stuff on the curb, to me its all raw material waiting to be made into something...lol my friends think im nuts but i keep sayin if your on the moon ya gotta use what ya have ,.....nice View attachment 336063 View attachment 336065 my trolling trousers made from a 5 gal bucket and a pair of old jeans, my ice sled made from old lawn chairs, even my kool sun brella found in trash and is now my sun shade in my boat.. View attachment 336071

·
4,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
LOL,,, More CRAPPY Weather,,, More building!

I've been working on Mikeys 26' boat trailer. It needed new fenders, guide-ons with a permanently mounted ladder, PAINT & a WALKWAY!
Almost done,,,,, then NO MORE WET FEET,,, NO MORE FORGETTING THE LADDER!

I 'acquired' a semi full of vinyl (plastic) fencing & decking boards,,,, so I'm using the stuff to build a non-slip WALKWAY. (had to buy the screws! :<(
The swim platform is deck boards, & so is the new fender steps.

Sylvan walkway.JPG

I still need to fab up the ladders, & weld up the guide-ons, rollers & bumpers,,,,, I'll need 2 more helpful hands for that.
All of the metal came from a scrap pile,,,,, FREE,,, I like that.
Hopefully, the trailer will be done when the eyes get to Conny!?

Sylvan Ladder guideons.JPG

·
4,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
;>)
Wow! Is there anything you cant do?

LOL,,,, Ya,,,,, ("jack of all trades,,, REALLY GOOD AT NOTHING!")

there is one or two things I haven't tried or got a handle on,,,,,,,,,
Like Right now,,,, I CAN'T SEEM TO GET MY BUTT OFF OF THIS CHAIR,
& start doing something outside!!????????????????

Think, I'll go check the fridge,,,,,,
Later
;>)

·
4,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
WOW! Blue Pike,,, That's what I'm talking about!
I consider that bench to be one Fantastic RECYCLING Job! Nice ;>)

Now, my daughter would BURN the spool & pallets, just to make marshmallow Shmores.
Then, she would go ' Antique' furniture shopping, & PAY $1,000 for something like your awesome bench!!???

Go Figure,,,,, Shes Collage Educated,,,,, She didn't learn nut'n from me.

lol,,, I will gladly send her your pictures! :rolleyes:

·
4,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Hey Blue,,, If your interested,,, I have +- 5 cable spools available,,,, if you would like one or two tops, for making some beer-can holding end tables?

I was saving them, to make a 5' card table,,,,, maybe, someday.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Doboy ---- Thanks for the good words on the little bench.

About the spools--- Thanks for the offer, but my son works for a cable company an I can have him bring me any size spool that I need.

Again—Thanks for the good words

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I recently got this gas fire pit for free. It had a broken fitting and something chewed the wire on the starter. Since I didn't have the fitting needed and couldn't locate one on the 'Net, I silver soldered the broken one. A wire nut on the bare wires and we have a fire pit for the deck this fall.
firepit3.jpg
firepit2.jpg
firepit4.jpg
firepit5.jpg

41 - 60 of 93 Posts