Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
HeWhoDiesWithTheMostToysWins
4,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a PACK RAT,,,, & I'm just wondering if any of you guys have the same 'illness'?

During the winter, I just Love to build all kinds of 'STUFF',,,, specially when it's built FREE!
95% of the 'ACQUIRED' building materials that I use came out of dumpsters, garage 'clean-out' jobs, TRASH DAY cans, or maybe even garage sales. (last day of course)
All of my neighbors, now throw all of their broken items my way,,, sooner or later, i will build something useful out of those items.

Here's an example that you might enjoy,,,,, or you might even want to copy!?
(story,,, we were heading out fishing,,,,, driving down a back road when I seen a guy placing a 2-door SS refrigerator/ freezer out on the curb. I quickly turned around & went back home for my trailer!
IT IS NOW A GUN SAFE FOR MY G-KIDS!

Before;
Gun Fridge.JPG

After;
1 piece of 3/4" plywood & some dumpster carpet. The purple 'carpet retainers' are actually made out of screw cap lids off of 1 gallon liquid soap jugs,,, gorilla glued down.
1 more month of washing cloths, & I'll have all 6 in place! lol,,,,
Gun Fridge 3.JPG

It can now store the x-bow & extra arrows, 6 standing bb, pellet, & .22 rifles & or some long .410 shotguns,,,, & 3 -54" double gun cases.
ALL of the bb pistols, sling shots & ammo are stored in the carpeted door compartments.

Gun Fridge 2.JPG

I used a dozen 3/16" SS pop rivets to mount a heavy duty piano hinge to the side of the SS doors,,,, & a large Master lock keeps everything 'KID SAFE'.
(the MASTER lock was the only thing I had to BUY! I like that. ;>)

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Many utility companies will pick up the old fridge and give you $100 for it. Put this towards a real safe as that old fridge is nothing but a storage cabinet.

Just saying............;)

·
Registered
775 Posts
Actually may be on to something here. I don't think theives look inside fridges and freezers much if at all? I could be wrong, I dunno I don't have sticky fingers like some folks
Some one broke into my house and took coffee creamer, lunchmeat, cheese, yogurt then left the fridge door open. So some do get in the fridge.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I'm a PACK RAT,,,, & I'm just wondering if any of you guys have the same 'illness'?

During the winter, I just Love to build all kinds of 'STUFF',,,, specially when it's built FREE!
95% of the 'ACQUIRED' building materials that I use came out of dumpsters, garage 'clean-out' jobs, TRASH DAY cans, or maybe even garage sales. (last day of course)
All of my neighbors, now throw all of their broken items my way,,, sooner or later, i will build something useful out of those items.

Here's an example that you might enjoy,,,,, or you might even want to copy!?
(story,,, we were heading out fishing,,,,, driving down a back road when I seen a guy placing a 2-door SS refrigerator/ freezer out on the curb. I quickly turned around & went back home for my trailer!
IT IS NOW A GUN SAFE FOR MY G-KIDS!

Before;
View attachment 335973

After;
1 piece of 3/4" plywood & some dumpster carpet. The purple 'carpet retainers' are actually made out of screw cap lids off of 1 gallon liquid soap jugs,,, gorilla glued down.
1 more month of washing cloths, & I'll have all 6 in place! lol,,,,
View attachment 335975

It can now store the x-bow & extra arrows, 6 standing bb, pellet, & .22 rifles & or some long .410 shotguns,,,, & 3 -54" double gun cases.
ALL of the bb pistols, sling shots & ammo are stored in the carpeted door compartments.

View attachment 335977

I used a dozen 3/16" SS pop rivets to mount a heavy duty piano hinge to the side of the SS doors,,,, & a large Master lock keeps everything 'KID SAFE'.
(the MASTER lock was the only thing I had to BUY! I like that. ;>)
wow,did anyone get a handle on what the point was?

·
4,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did u have the refrigerant recycled or is the internals still intact.

No Recycle,,,, i guess that's why they threw it out,,,, no gas,,,, so I pulled the pump & stuff out.

Actually may be on to something here. I don't think thieves look inside fridges and freezers much if at all? I could be wrong,

The best one,,,,, (My son never seen me build it)
So, for an after Christmas dinner brew,,,, i asked my son to go out into my daughters garage and fetch us a beer,,,,,,, like minutes later, he comes back into the house empty handed & says "WHY THE HELL DID YOU GUYS PUT A PADLOCK ON THE FRIDGE??????"
lol,,,
So, that proves that the plan kinda works,,,, but backwards!
I guess now,,,, we'll have to worry about a BEER THIEF breaking in!? ;>)

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
What you're describing sounds more like "re-purpose" and I've done a lot of that.

I just have to watch out or else I'll find myself holding on to stuff that might be good for something ... someday ...

·
4,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here's another piece of TRASH that someone threw out,,,,, It also save me a chunk of money, & I have to say, it WORKS better than most store bought smokers;
(yes I posted pics a while back,,,, just trying to get back on subject lol,,, ;>)

THIS IS MY 'FREE' SMOKER 'OVEN',,, with 4 slide-out racks! ;
Jer's Smoker Oven (cheap)  Catfish.JPG

I hooked the 'oven' electric up to my 220v welder outlet in the barn.
Add a 1-3/4" exhaust pipe for a stack.
Some 1/2"-1" thick pieces of fruit tree wood placed on the bottom coil for smoke.
Heat temp settings, single OR double coil heat, clock, timer w alarm, 4 oven racks & stove TOP coils for making gravys!,,,,, EVEN A HIGH TEMP 'CLEAN' CYCLE!
Top that for FREE! ;>)

Smoking Catfish 6-2016.JPG

Smoked catfish, W bass or W perch,,,, just add a 1/2" square-hole jerky grate on top of the oven's slider racks.
I had to BUY THEM! :<(
Jer's Smoked Fish.JPG

·
4,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What you're describing sounds more like "re-purpose" and I've done a lot of that.

I just have to watch out or else I'll find myself holding on to stuff that might be good for something ... someday ...

lol,,, 'ME' 100% exactly,,,,, But if I 'throw it out' today, I'll definitely NEED IT 2 years from now! ;>)
You should see my 3-car garage (no cars fit in), 2 patios, a big 2-story mower shed & my huge 2-story barn,,,, BUT WATCH WHERE YOU STEP!!! ;>)

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
thats the ticket, im always on the look out for good stuff on the curb, to me its all raw material waiting to be made into something...lol my friends think im nuts but i keep sayin if your on the moon ya gotta use what ya have ,.....nice IMG_0526.JPG IMG_0761.JPG my trolling trousers made from a 5 gal bucket and a pair of old jeans, my ice sled made from old lawn chairs, even my kool sun brella found in trash and is now my sun shade in my boat.. IMG_0596.JPG

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I got my hands on some 1" galvanized conduit, cut it to different lengths, and made wind chimes. No matter what length I cut them to, they always struck a minor note. Maybe it was the texture of the metal.
Alex, Google is your friend when it comes to tuning wind chimes :cool:

1 - 20 of 93 Posts