Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Maybe some day I'll get the photo act together, but I generally end up wet up to my neck and I don't own anything that can tolerate that and still take pictures.

My son and I hit the LMR today. Still a bit high, about 8 inches above normal, still a bit murky, visibility about a foot and a half, but definitely fishable. He got two dink basses, a smallie and a spot, and I got two dink smallies and a 13" channel cat that I almost invited to breakfast tomorrow, but I took pity and let him swim off. The only thing working for us was a black grub with a chartreuse twister tail, fished slow. I had about seven or eight more on, a couple biggies, but all spit the hook.

And then there there was the epic event of the night. The same black and chartreuse 3" twister on a light 1/16 oz. black jig head. I let the current sweep it into a hole I know of, and something inhaled it. Fish on! Then I thought, wow this one is big, then it was like, holy crap! This seriously was the biggest thing I've had on in the LMR, ever. This brute didn't move fast or panic, but it was so powerful I couldn't handle it right away--couldn't slow it down, couldn't turn it. I'm using a spinning outfit with an 8 lb. test braid that takes a whole lot more strain than mono. I tightend the drag on him, figuring the line would hold and I could tire him out eventually, and for sure it was hooked solid. It swam in a big slow circle around us, then back down into the hole it came from and burrowed into some brush down there. I couldn't pull it out and knew I was tangled up, so I handed my backpack to my boy and went down under the water after it in about 6 feet of water. I followed the line down to where it was all wrapped up in a waterlogged branch. It had lots of intricate little branches, almost like a Christmas tree. I dragged that whole dang thing out of the bottom of the river with the fish still jerking on it, untangled the line from it, and threw it on the bank. Still more to do, so I went back down, felt where the fish had gone under a gap in a big buried slimy tree trunk and I fed the rod under that, pushed the whole length of it through, got the line clear, and the fish took off again upstream. I had the crazy experience for two or three seconds there of fighting a big fish on a rod and reel with both of us totally under water! I could hear the braid line ripping off the reel clear as anything. I popped up spluttering, but the fish turned around and passed me and headed right back into that same hole under the log it had just come from, so I went down after it again. But this time the line snagged on a crack in that log, the fish had something solid to pull against and straightened the hook, which was never designed to hold a fish like that. It was gone. We never even got a look at it.

I don't know what it was. Didn't have a catfishy feel, but I suppose it could have been a big flathead. I've never caught one of them. It wasn't a game fish--too slow and dogged for a muskie or giant bass, and it stubbornly stayed down. Maybe a carp, but I've never seen or caught a carp there--which probably doesn't mean much, they must be there. There are good sized buffaloes in there, so maybe. But I'm thinking it was one of those big honkin' drums that lurk in the Little Miami. I caught a 36" drum two years ago in the same spot. If this was a drum, this one was a lot bigger. They are really powerful fish. But I'll never for sure know what it was.

By the way, I lie like hell all the time and don't think a thing of it, but this is totally true, exactly how it happened. It was a blast! I have to say that I admire this big-ass fish for how it handled itself. I told my son, for some reason this one wasn't disappointing. There are times in life when the only appropriate response is to tip your cap at somebody who bettered you, even though you gave it all you had. No shame in that. This was one of those times. Yahoo! That was fun.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Sounds typical of a flattie to me.

It sucks you didnt get to see it though. After a battle like that you just have to pick your head up, look at the water, and say well played sir.....well played.

Ive went in log jams after flathead before and its prettt sketchy. Its very unsafe and im glad you made it out to tell the tale.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Mad SOT YAKER!
1,999 Posts
Sounds like a flat head to me. I hooked one while in kayak with a tube, fairly fast current, turned me around and pulled me upstream fifty yards to a deep logjam, where it tangled the line and my buddy Brock wouldn't swim down after it, neither would I, lol. I had medium heavy bait caster with thirty pound braid, might have had a chance to turn her away from the tangle if I was on the bank, never felt a fish that powerful, it never panicked, just ever so slowly dragged me back to its home, had to cut the line, sigh.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

1 - 6 of 6 Posts