close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Trucked in Boston

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by trucked, Jul 13, 2007.

1. Well, Lily and I went to Boston for a vacation to visit my sister. We are killing ourselves on Lobster, Fried Fish (Cod) Scallops, Fried Clams, & Jumbo Prawn Shrimp.

We have frequented the places that I went to while growing up. It is great watching Lily swim in the Atlantic Ocean on Nantasket Beach in Hull, MASS. The same beach and the same spot that I did when I was a kid 50 years ago.
    History repeats itself for sure. She is at the beach right now with my sister.

We just came from an Italian resturaunt that I used to go to 35 yrs ago. We walked in there and the owner comes out and sits us down. I said to him that I used to eat there 35 yrs ago. He said I look a bit familiar and then said, Holy s*** Steve??? I said yep its me all gray and fat. We laughed and then we ordered our dinner. REAL Veal Parm and Spaghetti with an Antipasto that fed 4 adults. Appetizers were Jumbo Shrimp Cocktail, Mussels in Italian Red Spaghetti Sauce and Jumbo Sea Scallops and Calimari in an Italian Red Wine Sauce.

Are you guys dying yet? I certainly was when The owner came out and cut the bill in half with me for a re-union type dinner for not coming in there for that long. Unbelievable.

Well, Just thought I would say hi to all and I will post pics when we get back on the 18th.

God Bless everyone and we'll talk later.:D
    http://www.town.hull.ma.us/Public_Documents/index
    THIS IS WHERE I GREW UP. 3 BLOCKS FROM THE OCEAN.
    Steve & Lily:D

lostinthefifties likes this.
  2. wow sounds awesome. bring some home for the rest of us

3. shwookie

shwookie fishing from a kayak

I don't know you, but I hate you. ;)

I had a ham and swiss sandwich for dinner.

4. don't go to the police station. you will be recognized there for sure.

5. Hey Rick, it was the e-mail thing.

Harry1, Shut up you ding-a-ling. See ya when I get home bro.

6. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

that's what i figured.glad you got it fixed.

7. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

Of all the palces in the country I've had the privilige of travelling to, Boston has the best seafood by far!
    It's just yoo damn expensive to live in that area.

8. I was in BOS this weekend as well...The lightly breaded calamari, veal marsala, Chianti and Tiramisu kicked my butt!!! If you could cut out the North End and move it to someplace with more pleasant surroundings it would be a perfect world.

Not a big fan of Boston....but the food was fantastic.

9. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

Did you get any pastries at Mikes or Modern? Oh the canolli or whoopie pies are to-die for!

10. crankus_maximus

If you think Boston has the best seafood, then you haven't eaten in the low-country of SC. It can't be touched for shrimp, flounder, grouper, etc. Man-o-man. Going there in September and getting a big bucket of peel-and-eat buffaloe shrimp and a bucket of suds.

Marsal, you ready yet for Creek Rats?

11. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

Been to Murrells Inlet, Hilton Head, Savannah, Jeckyll, Amelia Islands and on down to Miami. None compare to Boston. I would like to try Maine up to New Brunswick and Newfoundland. Haven't been up there yet.
    Murrells Inlet did have pretty good shrimp.
    The coast of Louisiana would be another place I haven't been to but have heard about their seafood.

12. Vacationed at my aunts beach house on Little Neck Island about 30 miles north of Boston 3 years ago. Took a drive up the coast and had lunch right down the road from the Bush estate. Ate nothing but lobster and tried new beers the whole time. Caught striper from the island shore. Wonderful vacation.

13. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Sounds great man, sounds like you're eatting good out there :D

14. crankus_maximus

You must not be eating at the right places. Their seafood is "different" than the offerings in Boston. I have been working in Beantown for almost 5 years now, so I know the comparison.

I prefer the seafood of the south low country.

15. Low country boil is a great way to spend an afternoon but it doesn't hold a candle to beer steamed Chesapeake Bay blue crabs, corn on the cob and french fries all with a healthy sprinkling of Old Bay seasoning.

16. crankus_maximus

Not talking about frogmore stew. Talking about the shrimp. Ever had SC Blue Crab? Flounder?

Man, making myself hungry all over again........

Y'all can keep your northern seafood.

17. Yep...I grew up in MD...since then I've lived in OH, PA, FL, GA and now back to OH.

I've had LOTS of seafood along the way...and have had good and bad experiences in all areas. I think southern blue crabs (warmer water) have a more mushy texture...in all honesty this may be because the majority of the southern blue crabs I've eaten have been at crab houses in MD during the off-season. That being said..it may be more of an issue of freshness than orgin.

I've done alot of flounder fishing from the mouth of the Chesapeake southward into the carolinas...I love flounder and havn't noticed a big difference in the quality or taste of the fish regardless of where I've caught it.

All in all...I think that generally people are going to favor the fish that comes from their general area for 2 reasons...it's what they are accustomed to and it's what they get the freshest and therefore they get the best possible results.

That being said...you New England folks can keep that rubbery lobstertail to yourselves!!

18. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

The company I work for is based in Boston. I get the pleasure;) of going to Boston 4-6 times a year.

The ONLY thing I enjoy about those trips is the seafood.

My wife and granddaughters spent a week there last fall touring the city and surrounding areas and they loved it!

Anyone want to fill in for me on my next scheduled business trip to Boston, my boss would never know the difference:D